POBEAT: 9/28/16

Motorcycle theft

An officer responded to a call at the Coronado residence hall, on the UA campus in reference to a stolen motorcycle on Sept. 19.

The student had parked his motorcycle on the east side of the building and when he returned the motorcycle was gone. As he was on the phone with UAPD, he located the motorcycle in a parking space between Coronado and Arbol de Vida dorms on campus.

The student was the only one who had a key and did not give permission to anyone to use the motorcycle. As he further inspected his vehicle, there were several wires that were cut. 

The wires that were cut led to the ignition and this resulted in the vehicle not being able to start. There was other damage as well as the seat appeared to be pulled from its attachment. 

The seat is used for storage, where the student kept his registration. Fortunately, the registration was not stolen.

The student is adamant about pressing charges if the person responsible for these actions is found. 

Officers have access to a security camera that overlooks a door to the residence hall. The camera covers part of the roadway outside the dorm and contains a possible route the person may have taken when moving the motorcycle. The footage has not yet been reviewed. 

Suspicious stabber

An officer responded to a call about a suspicious person making statements about stabbing people in the area around the Koffler building on Sept. 19. 

The officer searched the area for a male subject wearing a white baseball cap, white pants and red shoes. A short time later, the officer located the subject in the walkway between the UA Science Library and Bear Down Gym. 

Because of the report, the officer asked the man if he had any weapons.  The man stated that he didn’t and voluntarily emptied his pants pockets. No weapons were found, but the man was carrying a couple of lanyards with keys on them.

Upon asking the man of his alleged accusation, the suspect stated that he was not going to stab someone. Supposedly he was on campus to go to the library and he enjoys walking around. Upon being told that him being on campus without a purpose was a disturbance, he voluntarily left with no objection.