“New cereal cafe targets students, early risers”

Tim Harrison, a senior majoring in business management, dishes up a bowl of cereal for a customer in the new Cereal Boxx yesterday afternoon during the caf

Cereal, one of the main food groups for college students, is moving out of the kitchen and into a more upscale venue.

The Cereal Boxx, 943 E. University Blvd., Suite 100, a cafǸ that serves cereal, coffee and other breakfast items, opened yesterday.

“”Basically it is the 31-flavors concept,”” said Jordan Schacht, who opened the cafǸ with his wife, Terra. “”One scoop, two scoops, three scoops of your choice of cereals or one of our own concoctions.””

The restaurant offers 35 different types of cereal. The cereal types range from typical brands found in pantries across the country to more health-oriented choices, Schacht said.

“”We’re targeting college students, we’re targeting the health-conscious who want a big bowl of oatmeal, we’re targeting … basically a mixed demographic,”” Schacht said.

Opening-day promotions included coupons and specials.

“”We had a lot of people coming in first thing in the morning around 7:30, and it kind of fell off (around mid-morning),”” said Terra Schacht. “”Hopefully, it will pick up again around lunchtime.””

A cereal cafǸ is not unique to Tucson. Another company, Cereality, operates five cereal cafǸs, including one atArizona State University, according to the Cereality Web site.

The Park Student Union also serves cereal by the bowl. The PSU brought in the cereal station about three years ago after seeing the concept of the cereal bar on the Internet, said Lupita Lopez, supervisor for the PSU.

Lopez estimated that 20 to 25 people come in for cereal each day.

“”I think because of the proximity,”” Lopez said. “”It’s people who roll out of bed from Kaibab-Huachuca, people who roll out of bed from Coronado and so forth. They just come sometimes in their PJs.””

While PSU initially offered garnishes for cereal, the union stopped offering them because they did not sell as well.

“”The garnishes just didn’t do as well as just having the different varieties available to them and being able to mix and match,”” Lopez said.

The Cereal Boxx offers toppings that range from fresh fruit to candy bar pieces.