Senators discuss funding and homecoming at most recent meeting (ASUA Notebook 9/25/2019)

Dani Cropper
    ASUA candidates Bennett Adamson, Sydney Hess and Kate Rosenstengel stand together after the Executive Q&A on Thursday, March 21 in the SUMC. The three students are the only candidates running for ASUA’s executive positions for the 2019-2020 school year.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, the student body government, met Wednesday to discuss potential Bobcat funding and homecoming nominations.

Bobcat Funding 

Bobcats Senior Honorary requested $2,500 from ASUA in order to reserve UA Mall space for homecoming activities, materials for activities and other miscellaneous expenses. 

“What we do during homecoming is basically all of it,” said Bobcats member Phil Fromm. “We do lighting the A, we do the bonfire, we do royalty, the parade and we do the Mall events.”

The honorary requested funding from ASUA due to budget cuts from the Alumni Association.  

“We need monetary assistance to continue these traditions,” Fromm said.

Marc Acuña, Bobcats advisor, added that the honorary needs ASUA’s help to make the events more diverse by inviting clubs, athletics and other student organizations. 

Rocque Perez, at-large senator, called homecoming “essential to the Wildcat experience,” but also pointed out that the appropriations board has more funding at their disposal than ASUA.

Both senators and Bobcats members considered making programs such as Campus Pantry and Campus Closet beneficiaries, but stipulations will be finalized for the next senate meeting. 

Homecoming Nominations

After some discussion, the senate voted to nominate at-large senators Ana Mendoza and Gomez Ambriz for Homecoming court.

RELATED: Senators discuss the fate of the College of Letters, Arts and Science (ASUA Notebook 9/11/2019)

They also discussed whether to personally fund the nomination fee, use executive discretionary funds or use the senate budget. 

“The ASUA budget does come from a combination of student fees and funding from the bookstore, said Bennett Adamson, executive vice president. “I do wonder if it sets a bad precedent to fund what is effectively a cool opportunity for the two of you and a lot of fun … It’s up to all of you to vote, I’m just raising the point maybe that isn’t the best way to use student funds.”

The senate voted to use the senate budget to pay for the nomination fees.  

Budget

At the ASUA Appropriations Board meeting Monday, 16 clubs requested general funding. The consent agenda was approved for $24,448, leaving approximately $165,000 left for the board. 

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter