“Dillon suspended for at least two games, teammates say it’s not a distraction”

March 15, 2007 Arizonas Daniel Dillon goes up for a dunk during Arizonas practice round at the New Orleans Arena, Thursday, March 15, 2007 in New Orleans. Dillon was suspended indefinately by Lute Olson for breaking an unspecified team rule.
    Chris Coduto
    March 15, 2007 Arizona’s Daniel Dillon goes up for a dunk during Arizona’s practice round at the New Orleans Arena, Thursday, March 15, 2007 in New Orleans. Dillon was suspended indefinately by Lute Olson for breaking an unspecified team rule.

NEW ORLEANS – Junior guard Daniel Dillon will play neither Friday against Purdue nor Sunday if Arizona advances after being arrested early Sunday morning for driving under the influence.

“”Daniel is a great kid, great student, great representative,”” UA head coach Lute Olson said.

“”It’s unfortunate that it had to happen, but I felt that we needed to make the decision that would have the least effect on our team.””

Olson said Dillon was suspended for violating a team rule.

Dillon’s car was stopped by a Tucson police officer at 12:58 a.m. in the alley west of Vine, according to a police report.

The officer, who was conducting traffic enforcement on Euclid Avenue, spotted Dillon driving at an unspecified speed in a 35 mph zone and decided to pull the car over.

Dillon did not respond to the police car’s lights but pulled over after the officer turned on his siren, the report stated.

Dillon agreed to do field sobriety tests and take the breathalyzer test but the police report did not release his blood alcohol level.

The report stated the test showed “”the presence of alcohol.””

Dillon was at practice Wednesday but was not in the locker room during media time.

His teammates mostly had no comment, but said his situation has not been a distraction.

“”Not at all, no comment on that,”” Chase Budinger. “”We’re too focused on March Madness.””

Freshman Jordan Hill said Dillon was “”doing OK. (He’s) hanging in, coming in supporting us.””

As for a possible rotation shift, the players said Olson had not talked about changes in the lineup.

Freshman guard Nic Wise may be the beneficiary. Wise played eight minutes in Arizona’s last game against Oregon March 8, but mostly because of starting point guard Mustafa Shakur’s ineffectiveness.

“”You never know,”” Wise said of possibly receiving a larger role. “”All I can do is be ready. It should be, I would think, but you never know.””