Talking about my generation

A cultural shrine sits on the windy and frigid Lake Erie shore in northern Ohio.

It’s home to the likes of Elvis, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin: artists with the power to cross generational divides.

It’s packed full of dusty leather jackets and classic, glistening Fender guitars.

Its purpose is to acknowledge the musicians who influenced and inspired the evolution of the national pastime that is rock and roll.

Last week the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced its newest members to be included in the class of 2009, and it got me thinking.

I looked at Billboard’s Top 200 and saw Taylor Swift, Nickelback, Kanye West, Beyonce and Britney Spears.

Which artists from the iPod generation have the power to remain relevant for a 25-year tour towards hall membership?

The latest class, to be inducted this coming April, includes an act that broke hip-hop into the mainstream world, Run-D.M.C., a heavy metal band that still produces hits after a quarter century of head banging, Metallica, and one of Rolling Stone’s “”100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time,”” Jeff Beck.

They are joining elite alumni.

Hendrix.

Madonna.

Clapton.

And none of them won American Idol.

Music evolves, and surely our generation’s contribution to American pop-culture has produced a few worthy candidates. But how will we be remembered — as Britney-stalking TRL voters or rock and roll inspirations? Artists have to be 25 years removed from their first released recordings to be eligible for the hall, so here’s a look at some candidates for the class of 2034.

Shoe-Ins

Red Hot Chili Peppers

The LA funk rockers are more then just the sock swinging sexaholics their image may suggest. The band has raked in five Grammy Awards and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame since breaking onto the scene in the early 90s.

Beastie Boys

Hardcore punk turned hip-hop got these New Yorkers a nomination for a Hall spot in 2007, but the group was subsequently snubbed. It’ll take more than one denial to keep the Boys from fighting for their right to party in Cleveland.

Alicia Keys

The R&B queen’s first album sold more than 11 million copies and earned five Grammy Awards. And that was just the start. Keys has pushed the Grammy total to 11 while selling more than 30 million albums, and she’s still in her twenties.

Pearl Jam

A product of the grunge movement, this band refuses to make music videos and boycotts Ticketmaster. Despite attempts to dwindle celebrity, they became the most popular American alternative rock band of the 90s, and have sold more than 60 million albums worldwide.

Green Day

The California rock trio has sold more than 65 million records and won three Grammy Awards on 15 nominations while pushing punk rock into the American pop-culture spotlight.

Hopefuls
    ? Justin Timberlake
    ? Dave Matthews Band
    ? Radiohead
    ? Jay-Z
    ? Sublime

Outside looking in
    ? Weezer
    ? Jack White
    ? Foo Fighters
    ? Beyonce
    ? Kanye West