Dine and unwind at Om

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Sushi chef Terry Chin prepares a plate of vegetarian rolls Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010, at Om Modern Asian Kitche in Tucson, Ariz. Located just north of campus at River Road and Campbell Avenue, good sushi is just a short drive away for students.
    Mike Christy
    Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat Sushi chef Terry Chin prepares a plate of vegetarian rolls Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010, at Om Modern Asian Kitche in Tucson, Ariz. Located just north of campus at River Road and Campbell Avenue, good sushi is just a short drive away for students.

Om Modern Asian Kitchen is a happy hour haven for UA students. Offering an array of cocktails, beers, wines, sushi and Asian cuisine, Om offers a unique taste. Owned by the same people behind a string of Asian restaurants — including Neo of Melaka, known for their authentic Malaysian food — this new restaurant comes with a solid reputation.

For the college student budget, lunch or happy hour are the best ways to go. For about $12, a drink and dish can be all yours. Happy hour runs from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. daily and late-night takes place Thursday through Sunday from 10 p.m. to midnight. Cocktails are only $5 and an array of sushi is offered at a special price. Although the full prices aren’t bad — entrées are around $14 and sushi rolls range from $3 to $5 — the happy hour deals are worth checking out. On Sundays, Om offers Asian style tapas until 6 p.m.

The food is great and the staff is knowledgeable. Om is Zen. It’s quiet and calm — a nice alternative to the hustle and bustle of University Boulevard or Ra Sushi. The relaxed and laid back atmosphere makes Om perfect for a nice date or intimate dinner party.

I invited out my friend Kim for a Saturday night dinner date. We ordered a watermelon salad ($7) to begin and it was to die for. This may very well be one of my favorite salads ever. Fresh, ripe watermelon is topped with a cucumber slaw and drizzled with a savory dressing. As weird as it may sound, the almost spicy blend of savory dressing and sweet watermelon is perfect. The flavor profile is right on.

For our main course we ordered two cucumber rolls, an avocado roll, eel roll and sweet egg nigiri. The sushi was great — traditional without too many bells and whistles. The simple, well put-together rolls complimented our salad nicely. To finish off our meal we indulged in the seasonal stone fruit napoleon, which featured spiced mascarpone, cherries and peaches. Layered in between crispy fried wontons, the cream and fruit blended well. It was a great way to end the meal.

Outside of delicious food, great staff and a calm and cool atmosphere, Om has a great online deal. Via restaurant.com, anyone can order a discounted printable gift card. Although there is a minimum purchase and it can only be redeemed during dinner, it’s well worth it. I paid $5 online for a $25 gift card. Kim and I only paid $12.55 plus tip for our meal, saving around $18. This in itself makes Om worth a visit.

Om is open daily at 11 a.m. The full menu is available online at om-az.com.