Police Beat: November 13

Doctor’s orders
A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of drug paraphernalia.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers went to the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall in response to a report of marijuana odor coming from the eighth floor of the building.

The officers knocked on the door the odor was coming from and were allowed to enter by the resident.

The resident told officers he was smoking marijuana earlier and did not have marijuana or paraphernalia in his room.

One officer pointed at a residue on the student’s desk and asked if it was marijuana shake. The student said it was but from when he was smoking earlier.

The officers told him his room smelled too strongly of marijuana to be from his clothes or a little bit of shake on his desk. 

They asked if they could search the room, but the student refused.

One officer said that when someone did not let officers search their room, they were usually hiding something. The student then said he was a legal medical marijuana card holder.

The officer asked if there was anything the resident would like to give up. The student replied, “Yes.”

The student pulled out a red bong with marijuana residue in it and said he had been smoking out of the bong earlier.

Flying drunk
A UA student was cited and released on charges of minor with spirituous liquor in body on Nov. 2.

Around 3:30 a.m., a UAPD officer was traveling east on University Boulevard when he saw a girl stumbling while attempting to cross the intersection.

The student walked halfway across University Boulevard, stopped for a few seconds and then continued walking with her arms extended out like an airplane.

The officer approached the student and asked if she was OK. She said she was fine.

The officer could smell a strong odor of intoxicants on her breath and noticed she was swaying.

A male student walking about 20 feet behind her approached and said they were walking back to their dorm.

The student said she lived at Arizona-Sonora but also at Villa del Puente Residence Hall. The man said he knew the student’s sister and asked to let him take her to her dorm.

The student said she didn’t know the man.

The man insisted they were together and that he was walking her to their dorm.

The officer asked the student if she had a roommate he could call. The girl instead began showing the officer Facebook photos on her phone.

After citing the student, the officer went with her to Arizona-Sonora. The resident assistant on duty found the student on a roster but said she had been evicted.

The student mentioned that she may live at the Hub At Tucson apartments on campus, so the officer took her there. 

When they arrived at the apartments, the student took out her entry card and was identified as a resident.