Senior singer worships the music

Brittan Bates
    Brittan Bates// Daily Wildcat Caroline Crawford, junior poses in Holsclaw Auditorium at the School on Music on Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015. Caroline is involved in lots of UA singing events including UA opera scenes.

Every Friday around 7 p.m., UA students can hear Caroline Crawford, a music senior, singing on the worship team for the on-campus Christian organization called The Navigators. But her involvement as a singer on the UA campus does not stop there. Crawford is a part of the Arizona Choir and is also involved in the UA Opera Theater and the Opera Scenes program.

Coming from a musically oriented family, Crawford learned the value of classical music from a very young age. 

“My mom is a violinist and all my siblings play an instrument in a proficient way,” Crawford said. 

Crawford started out on the violin before focusing her attention on singing. She had her first voice experiences at church in the seventh grade. Her passion for the art began to kindle when she joined the mariachi at her high school and felt invigorated by the ensemble’s true sense of vulnerability. 

Crawford said she feels a similar appreciation toward classical music and opera, which her first voice teacher in high school introduced her to. After hearing exceptional reviews about Kristin Dauphinais, who is now her private voice professor and chair of the voice area at the School of Music, Crawford chose the UA to pursue a bachelor’s degree in music with an emphasis in vocal performance, but above all, to invest in what she is truly passionate about.

During her freshman and sophomore years, Caroline Crawford sang in the Symphonic Choir, an ensemble composed of mostly undergraduates. However, as a junior with exceptional talent, Crawford is now in the Arizona Choir, which is comprised of nearly all graduate students. 

Under the instruction of conductors Bruce Chamberlain and Elizabeth Schauer, Crawford said she has had the opportunity to sing scores from a wide variety of music generations, ranging from the 17th to the 20th century. In May, the choir ventured beyond the Tucson city limits to Austria and the Czech Republic where they sang Antonín Dvorák’s “Stabat Mater” in the midst of exquisite European halls.

During Christmas time, the UA choirs also put on a concert called the “Holiday Card to Tucson,” which is performed at St. Augustine Cathedral. Crawford said she cherishes this special event as part of her Christmas traditions. Moreover, she said she values how Tucson residents unite to celebrate music and Christmas. 

“Being in choir here has really opened my eyes to the value and beauty of choral singing,” Crawford said.

In addition to singing in UA choirs, Crawford said she is also involved in Opera Theater and the Opera Scenes program where she has gotten to play a number of different roles, including Mabel in “The Pirates of Penzance,” Ida in “Die Fledermaus,” Second Lady in “The Magic Flute” and Madame Herz in “The Impresario.” This semester, Crawford said she is getting ready to take on the lead role of Laetitia in UA Opera Theater’s rendition of “The Old Maid and the Thief,” by Gian Carlo Menotti. 

“Caroline Crawford is one of our first-rate sopranos here at the School of Music,” said David Ward, interim director for the UA Opera Theater. “She is an excellent actress and a very funny comedienne. Her performances are always captivating.” 

Crawford said she enjoys working with many of her classmates who are also in Opera Theater and Opera Scenes with her. 

“Once we’re in the opera rehearsal setting, it ceases to be about competition and becomes about the art itself,” Crawford said.  

Crawford has also partaken in a plethora of singing competitions. Recently, Crawford attained first place in the Amelia Rieman Opera Competition which, according to the School of Music’s website, is put forth by the Opera Theater.

Crawford said she does not have specific plans for the future but that she trusts in God’s plan which he will reveal to her in his time. She also said she has considered doing missionary work or going to graduate school.

“God is my number one inspiration for singing,” Crawford said. “My gift is from him, which is why I feel the duty to share it. It’s not mine to have — it’s his to give. Besides opera, I love singing worship for The Navigators and church services. I can’t take credit for any of it really. I also [think] music is a precious gift God has given us to express our love and worship for him.

_______________

Follow Madison Scavarda on Twitter.