The best places to read on campus

Chris+Melton%2C+a+psychology+senior%2C+studies+for+an+upcoming+exam+yesterday+outside+of+the+Art+Building+where+different+chair+sculptures+invite+readers+to+sit+and+relax.+
    Chris Melton, a psychology senior, studies for an upcoming exam yesterday outside of the Art Building where different chair sculptures invite readers to sit and relax.

If you’re over your usual studying and reading spots, read on: Here are five lesser-known places to read, appreciate the cooler weather and enjoy the UA. From outdoor gardens to hidden atriums, try out one of these spots any time you’re interested in a change of scenery.

1. Optical Sciences building

Outside of the shiny new Optical Sciences building on the UA Mall at Cherry Avenue, the stone, sand and plant landscaping you’ll find is the closest thing to a Zen garden on the UA campus.

The peaceful contrast of glass, gravel and slate makes the benches here a great place to meditate, talk or take a break during your nightly jog around the Mall.

2. Forbes building garden

Located just south of Old Main across from the Nugent building, this hidden courtyard is a little oasis of flowers, green grass and hanging vines that feels very far from the native desert landscape. Roped off for most of the last year, the several benches beyond the garden’s arched entry are a peaceful spot to sit and think, read or enjoy the greenery. The garden also features several varieties of fragrant roses and is home to some of the most picnic-worthy grass patches on campus.

3. Arts courtyard

Actually labeled as the “”Arts Oasis”” on the official UA map, this area outside the music, art and theatre buildings is filled with mosaic benches and statues that double as chairs. The spot has lots of easy outdoor seating and is a great place to appreciate some of the UA’s better public art. Located just north of the Music building, the area has a sense of the quirky, creative and colorful.

4. McClelland Park building

Across the street from Park Student Union, this beautiful new building has modern architecture you don’t see much on campus and is decorated with colorful squares and inspirational words from UA donors. There are benches, tables and lots of shade in this lesser-known patio area, which would be a great place to study or eat somewhere other than the dorm kitchen.

5. Third floor of the Student Union Memorial Center

OK, so this one isn’t exactly a secret, but the many balconies on the third floor offer some of the best views on campus of the surrounding mountains. The balcony on the southeast side, outside of Cactus Grill, has a wide wall that’s perfect for sitting on to enjoy the famous Tucson sunset against Mount Lemmon. The balcony on the northwest side, outside the ASUA offices, offers a pretty view of north and east Tucson, while the balcony on the northeast side has many tables that are less occupied during rush times than other places in the Union.