Police Beat: Oct. 8

University reports items stolen from fenced yard on campus

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the university’s warehouse at 1145 S. Warren Ave. on Sept. 28 at 9:25 a.m. in reference to a burglary. Upon arrival, officers met with the university employee who reported the incident. According to the employee, sometime between Sept. 25 at 5:30 p.m. and Sept. 28 at 9:25 a.m., an unknown person or persons stole a Sony VCR and an unknown brand digital video multiplexer, valued at $50 each, from the open bed of a university-owned pickup truck parked in the fenced yard on Warren Avenue. According to police, no damage was done to the vehicle and no signs of forced entry were found in or around the fenced lot. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Sucks to be the friend who lent him the car

UAPD officers were on patrol in the area of Second Street and Park Avenue on Sept. 28 at 2:25 p.m. when they observed a white Honda improperly displaying an Arizona license plate. Officers initiated a traffic stop and made contact with the driver. Police informed the driver of the reason for the stop and were able to identify him using his driver’s license. A records check of the man revealed a license suspension. The driver’s license also showed that the man was required to be driving a vehicle with an ignition interlock device, which he was not. According to the driver, he had borrowed the car from a friend. The man was cited on charges of driving on a suspended license and operating a vehicle without a required ignition interlock device. The vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound and the driver was released on scene.

Man reports license plate switch-a-roo

UAPD officers met with a man in the parking lot of the UAPD station at 1852 E. 1st St. on Sept. 28 at 3:49 p.m. in reference to a stolen vehicle license plate. According to the man, sometime between Aug. 31 and Sept. 25, the license plate that belonged on his son’s Chevrolet Cobalt was stolen. The man claimed that on Sept. 10 he had received a citation in the mail from the Department of Public Safety’s Photo Enforcement Division that showed a Chevrolet Malibu displaying his license plate on Aug. 31. The man called his son to confirm that the correct license plate was on the Cobalt. The son reported that it was not. While waiting to figure out exactly what to do about the situation, the man’s son called back on Sept. 25 to report that he had discovered that the correct license plate had been returned to the Cobalt and the plate that had been put on the Cobalt was removed.  Police ran a check on the plate that had been switched and discovered that it had originally been registered to a Chevrolet Camaro but had been indefinitely suspended. The man and his son had no idea who would have switched the license plates on the Cobalt and police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Woman claims to have been drugged at Phi Kappa Psi party

UAPD officers met with a woman at the UAPD station on Sept. 29 at 10:39 a.m. in reference to suspicious activity. According to the woman, she believed she had been drugged with GHB, the “”date rape drug.”” She told police that while on Facebook.com on Sept. 26, she had learned of a party at the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house. She attended the party at 1011 N. Tyndall Ave. at approximately 9:30 that evening. The woman claimed that on arrival, a fraternity member she knew gave her a drink. Later, an unidentified man gave her another drink. The woman told police she had assumed both drinks contained vodka, as they were both colorless. The woman reported that at approximately 11:30 p.m., she had begun feeling “”overly flirtatious.”” The woman also claimed to have experienced a loss of both hearing and bladder control. The woman told officers that her friend had walked her back to her residence at the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall at approximately 1 a.m. on Sept. 27, at which point she vomited. The woman’s friends later told her that between the hours of 11:30 p.m. on Sept. 26 and 1 a.m. on Sept. 27, she had made out with three different men at the party. The next day, the woman looked up GHB online and believed she had experience its symptoms. She also told police that she had attempted to contact the fraternity president and had left several messages at the fraternity, but had received no replies. She told officers she was reporting the incident to document the event in the hopes of preventing any future sexual assaults.