Around town

Around town

Wednesday, Oct. 28

“”Arizona Re-imagined.“” You mean, like, pretending it’s more like Wyoming? No, this is a lecture by Nancy E. Turner, author of the bestseller “”These Is My Words.”” A book signing will follow. 7 p.m. Arizona History Museum, 949 E. Second St. $8 general admission, $6 Arizona Historical Society members, $5 for students.

Thursday, Oct. 29

Book Signing. Victoria Lodato, author of “”Mathilda Savitch,”” and Lydia Millet, author of “”Love in Infant Monkeys,”” will read and sign copies of their books. Refreshments will be served — as if listening to smart people speak in complete sentences weren’t refreshing enough. 7 p.m. Antigone Books, 411 N. Fourth Ave. Free.

Rhonda Taylor. The saxophonist and UA alumna will give a solo recital of “”adventurous contemporary words.”” Sadly, we doubt that includes the Indiana Jones theme song. 7 p.m. Crowder Hall. Free.

Daft Punk tribute night. Everyone loves Daft Punk — and if you don’t, you probably haven’t heard them. They do that “”One More Time”” song that always sounds like it’s twice as long as it is because it consists largely of someone yelling “”one more time!”” over and over again. 21+.

9 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $3 without membership.

Friday, Oct. 30

“”John Gutmann: The Photographer at Work.”” A lecture on a 1941 photograph by John Gutmann on the subject “”Images of Freedom.”” But wait, isn’t a picture supposedly worth a thousand words? That’s going to be one short lecture. Reception at 5 p.m., lecture at 6 p.m. in the Center for Creative Photography. Free.

Halloween Spooktacular. This is a family-friendly event that includes trick-or-treating with UA student-athletes, a costume contest and other fun Halloween activities, which hopefully do not include coming up with puns as bad as “”spooktacular.”” 5:30 p.m., preceding the 7 p.m. UA volleyball game at McKale Center. $6 general admission for parents, $1 for Club Arizona members.

Saturday, Oct. 31

Ballet Tucson. Come on, haven’t you always wanted to tell someone “”Sorry, I can’t, I’m going to the ballet tonight””? No? Well, maybe it’s time you started. This show features performances of “”Esmerelda,”” “”Giselle: Act II”” and “”Masquerade.”” Opening night gala at 6:30, performance at 8, also performances at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. Sunday. Stevie Eller Dance Theatre. $75 for Saturday gala and show, $25 for Sunday shows.

El Ten Eleven. Hate Halloween? Never fear, there’s always a Plush show to go to featuring yet another band with a wacky name. According to Spin, El Ten Eleven’s latest features melodies that “”put Ratatat to shame,”” which probably kept them up late that night trying to think of a wackier name. With Le Loup and Nurses. Doors open at 9 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $7.

Sunday, Nov. 1

“”La Traviata.”” If ballet’s not good enough for you, opera sure better be, because brows don’t come any higher than that. Giuseppi Verdi’s 1853 opera comes to The Loft in an acclaimed 2007 performance. It’s not being beamed live, of course; that would be ridiculous. Unless they were performing it on Alpha Centauri. Noon, additional performance Nov. 3 at 6:30 p.m. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. $20 general admission, $16 for Loft members.

Monday, Nov. 2

“”Afghan Massacre: The Convoy of Death.“” As if Mondays weren’t already depressing enough, this documentary examines the 2001 massacre of prisoners of war by an Afghan warlords, and finds evidence of U.S. participation. But then, that’s the sort of thing that documentaries tend to find these days. 7 p.m. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building, Room S202. Free.

Courtney Robbins. This Tucson singer-songwriter has been praised for her “”muscular rhythms and melodic grace.”” Which probably means she’s good, although we wonder what exactly makes a rhythm “”muscular.”” Is it like the music in one of those ’80s workout videos? 9:30 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. Free.

Tuesday, Nov. 3

Still Flyin’. Like REM, this band hails from Athens, Ga. Unlike REM, they are not called “”REM.”” With Fatigo, a Phoenix band, and Yellow Fever, who enjoy being photographed holding bunches of grapes. 21+. 8 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $8 in advance; $10 day of show.

Melt Banana. This Tokyo band’s name is so amazing we have to wonder if any band could live up to it. They’ve put out eight albums and more than 20 EPs, so someone’s got to be listening. With Mascaron and Flagrante Delicto, both Tucson bands. Now that’s a mark of quality. Doors open at 9 p.m. Plush,

340 E. Sixth St. $12.

— compiled by Justyn Dillingham