Improvements on mind of UA track

UA senior jumper Luis Rivera-Morales leaps through the air during the Jim Click Classic on April 3 at Drachman Stadium. The Wildcats track and field teams will send a small group of athletes to Tempe this weekend to compete in the Sun Devil Invitational.
    UA senior jumper Luis Rivera-Morales leaps through the air during the Jim Click Classic on April 3 at Drachman Stadium. The Wildcats’ track and field teams will send a small group of athletes to Tempe this weekend to compete in the Sun Devil Invitational.

With a few meets left until the Pacific 10 Conference Championships, the Arizona track and field teams will head to Tempe to compete in the Sun Devil Invitational this weekend.

Most of the athletes who were expected to qualify have already posted qualifying marks, and according to UA head coach Fred Harvey, only a few more athletes are expected to qualify from now until the end of the outdoor season.

“”This weekend is a very small meet to give some people an opportunity to get another chance to compete,”” Harvey said. “”It’s going to be a very small meet, we’re going to take a hand full of people to get some performances in.””

The majority of the team is expected to stay in Tucson and prepare for the dual meet against ASU and NAU next weekend, a meet which will be much larger than the Sun Devil Invitational.

Though this week’s meet is relatively small, some of the athletes who will be competing see this as chance to get better and prepare for Pac-10 Championships and upcoming NCAA Regional Championships.

“”Before regionals we were really focused on getting ready for the Pac-10 meet, which is a big meet for us,”” said senior long jumper Luis Rivera-Morales. “”We’re just focusing on getting better and better through competition.””

Rivera-Morales is one of the few competitors who has already qualified and will compete in this weekend’s meet in order to improve on his earlier marks.

Although ASU is hosting this weekend’s meet, the rivalry won’t be into full effect until next weekend in the UA-ASU-NAU meet, an event in which most of the Wildcats will compete. Though this weekend’s Sun Devil Invitational lacks the flare of other meets, the athletes are still fully aware of who their opponent will be.

“”I just try to compete the best that I can in every meet. We don’t have to change anything just because it’s ASU,”” Rivera-Morales said. “”It’s the same with every sport, you see ASU and you just want to beat them.””