Gentlemen Still Prefer Brunettes for Queens

October 21, 1955

Gentlemen — of UA origin — apparently do not prefer blondes.

Of 42 finalists that have found themselves in review for Homecoming Queen votes, only 11 have been blondes, while 30 brunettes have been chosen. However, three blondes and five brunettes have gained the coveted top honor of Queen.

In the seven years since the first Homecoming Queen was chosen, ony one red head appeared on the lists of five finalists.

An Alpha Phi Ruth Tackett reigned as the first Homecoming Queen in 1947. The brunette and her four attendants, in white formals, led the Homecoming Parade in what is now the traditional queens float.

Les Brown made his first appearance on campus for Homecoming in 1948 and placed the Queen’s crown on Mary Ann Neff, Kappa Alpha Theta.

White formals, today considered the proper dress for queens, were traded for swishing black taffeta in 1949. White roses were carried by Queen Nancy Porter, Delta Gamma, and the four finalists, as she was crowned in Bear Down Gym.

For the first time, in 1950, judges selected the Queen Barbara Beck, from five finalists. This method has been used four out of the eight times.

Returning again in 1951 and 1953, Les Brown and his orchestra played as Susy De Moure and Kay Mason, both Kappa Alpha Theta’s, received the titles of Homecoming Queen. The coronation dance was held in the Student Union Ballroom for the first time in 1951.

Janet “”Smokey”” Stover, Chi Omega, reigned in 1952 as Ray Anthony’s Band introduced the Bunny Hop to UA alumni and students. Attendants to the blonde, blue-eyed Queen were all brunettes.

Leading the Homecoming Parade through Tucson last year was Gamma Phi Beta, Florence Archer. Jerry Gray’s music floated through the Student Union Ballroom as the brunette was crowned Queen of the alumns.