Escape from the mainland with Mama’s

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The new Mamas Hawaiian BBQ, 850 E. Speedway Blvd., offers up tasty island cuisine like Chicken Katsu and the Loco Moco plate. Mamas is open from 10 a.m. to 3 a.m.
    Mike Christy
    Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The new Mama’s Hawaiian BBQ, 850 E. Speedway Blvd., offers up tasty island cuisine like Chicken Katsu and the “Loco Moco” plate. Mama’s is open from 10 a.m. to 3 a.m.

Mama’s Hawaiian Bar-B-Cue has opened near campus. Featuring an array of Hawaiian specialties and great hours, it’s likely to be a hit for the UA area. Open 10 a.m. to 2 a.m., Mama’s offers a great alternative to the pizza and fast food options that make up the bulk of the late-night eateries in Tucson.

Mama’s features the usual and unusual on their menu. From eggs and spam to teriyaki chicken, a broad variety of choices is available. Each lunch plate is served with white rice and macaroni salad; the teriyaki chicken is simple but satisfying. They also feature an interesting chicken katsu served with a unique ketchup-based sauce that offers a hint of Worcestershire sauce.

Beyond lunch plates, sandwiches and salads are also offered. These include a teriyaki chicken salad, beef teriyaki, chicken salad, standard hamburger and island burger. Mama’s also boasts some interesting specials, offering teriyaki wings, volcano wings and loco moco — a rice dish served with a hamburger patty and a fried egg on top.

Don’t forget dessert. Mama’s offers pineapple upside down cake, guava cake, coconut pudding and other seasonal cakes. If you find yourself with a late-night craving for dessert, Mama’s is a great place to try something outside the norm. A little taste of Hawaii is now available within walking distance of campus. Pop in and give Mama’s a try next time you’re craving a little escape from the mainland.