Men’s golf closes out ’07 at CordeValle Collegiate

After finishing 17th at the Isleworth-UCF Collegiate Invitational last month, the Arizona men’s golf team is looking for redemption as it wraps up the fall season at the CordeValle Collegiate in San Martin, Calif., today through Wednesday.

“”Golf is pretty funny,”” said UA assistant coach John Knauer. “”We win a tournament (The Wolf Pack Classic on Oct. 8-9), and then we finished 17th out of 18 teams. But in golf, that’s really not far off. It all comes down to a shot here and there. We have to draw on the positives and turn the negatives into strengths.””

The tournament, hosted by UCLA, will be played on the par-71, 7,119-yard Championship

Tees course.

Arizona finished third at last year’s tournament. Three members of this year’s squad have competed on the course before, which Knauer said “”makes a huge difference.””

“”Those three guys know all about the course and where its hazards are,”” he said. “”But it also helps to know how to get to the course and where to eat. Those intangibles can be very important, too.””

This will be the smallest field, 11 teams, the Wildcats have faced this season. The field is also not as strong as at the Invitational. Only four of the 11 teams are ranked nationally, although three are in the top 10.

The Wildcats know finishing the fall season on a strong note will be a key to their success in the spring, Knauer said.

“”Given the fact we’ve been so up and down this year, we’re looking to finish on a high note,”” he said. “”We want to enter the spring with the frame of mind that we’re getting better. We want the momentum. You want your last memory (until January) to be a good one.””