Fast Facts

Acclaimed novelist Norman Mailer threw his hat into the ring in 1969 for the New York City mayoral race, but ruined his chances when he stabbed his wife with a pair of scissors after a drunken celebration.

Be glad you weren’t practicing medicine during the 17th century – in those days, doctors tested patients for diabetes by tasting their urine.

Until the mid-1700s, barbers in England were also surgeons. They not only removed unruly hair, but also teeth, kidney stones and the occasional gangrenous leg.

Stella Walsh of Poland won the women’s 100-meter race at the 1932 Olympic Games. It wasn’t until she died in 1980 that an autopsy revealed she had male genetalia and both male and female chromosomes, a condition known as mosaicism.

In 1995, Bill Clinton was quoted as saying that the spork (a combination of spoon-and-fork) was “”the symbol of [his] administration.””

Among the most commonly stolen items from drugstores are batteries, cosmetics, camera fill and Preparation H.

The song that was played the most number of times on American radio during the 20th century was “”You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’.””

The record for the most appearances on the cover of People Magazine belongs to Princess Diana, who had been pictured there a whopping 54 times up to the year 2004.

Medical journals indicate that 5-year-old Lina Medina of Peru became the world’s youngest mother when she gave birth to a healthy baby in 1939.

George Lucas was fined $250,000 by the Director’s Guild for not listing an opening credit in his 1980 film The Enpire Strikes Back.

The 1974 film Son of Dracula included appearances by three of classic rock’s best-known drummers: John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), Keith Moon (The Who) and Ringo Starr (The Beatles).