UA alum’s short film Sundances all the way to Utah

In this moment in the movie, Graham (Kevin Lucero Less, left) tries to apologize to his father, Herman (John Pulley, right).

Less than a year out of college, Jonathan Pulley has already made it into the Sundance Film Festival. Pulley’s short film “”Move Me”” was chosen as part of the festival’s short-films series.

The 17-minute film was his senior-year thesis for the media arts program at the UA. Pulley wrote, directed and edited the film but also worked with other senior media arts students on the film.ÿ

The film is about the father trying to get on better ground with his son before the son leaves.

“”The story’s about the relation between a father and son,”” Pulley said. “”The son is leaving town, and it’s his last evening, and he chooses to spend it with his father.””

The story’s setting is unspecified but was shot in Tucson. Pulley says it’s pretty obvious the setting is in the Southwest because of the sunsets.

“”The sunsets play a prominent role,”” Pulley said. “”If you’ve ever been in the area, you’ll recognize it.””

Pulley paid $45 to submit the film, and the money was well worth it, considering the magnitude of Sundance and the opportunity it gives Pulley to schmooze with other filmmakers.

“”I found out a month ago,”” Pulley said.”” I got a phone call. I had no hope; I wasn’t expecting anything. I never thought I’d get in. I was completely shocked. I thought it must have been a mistake. I didn’t want to tell that many people.””

Sundance got its name in 1991, supposedly after chairman Robert Redford’s character in the 1969 film “”Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.”” Around 4,500 short films from both the U.S. and overseas were submitted to the festival, with 71 accepted.

“”Move Me”” will be shown five times at Sundance. The festival begins Friday in Park City, Utah, and runs until Jan. 28. Tickets went on sale yesterday and each screening costs $10.

“”I hope that people enjoy it,”” Pulley said when asked about his expectations for the film. “”I want the audience to enjoy it for sure. Maybe get some good questions, meet other filmmakers.””

Pulley said he isn’t sure if he’s ready to make a feature-length film.

“”It might be a safer plan to make another really solid short,”” Pulley said. “”I have an idea of working on a longer-form documentary. Jumping straight into a full feature might be a little out of reach, at least right now. I need to be a little bit more prepared.””

Pulley is also enthused about Sundance’s film collaboration with iTunes. Starting Monday, people can download the short films, including “”Move Me,”” for $1.99.

“”With this iTunes (deal) it can be accessible to people all over the world,”” Pulley said. “”It’s really exciting.””