Athlete of the Week

Taryne Mowatt
    Taryne Mowatt

Last weekend Arizona softball pitcher Taryne Mowatt threw two shutouts against then-No. 25 Washington, including a no-hitter on Sunday – her sixth career no-hit performance. She was named Pacific 10 Conference Pitcher of the Week yesterday for the second time this season. The Arizona Daily Wildcat caught up with Mowatt yesterday to discuss her performance, her best birthday present and her favorite movie.

Wildcat: You’ve been named athlete of the week by the Daily Wildcat.

Mowatt: Yay! Whoo!

W: How does that feel, even though you’ve won an ESPY?

M: It’s equivalent (laughs).

W: On Sunday you pitched a no-hitter against Washington. Were you just feeling it that day?

M: I actually didn’t have my best stuff, it didn’t feel like I had my best stuff, but for some reason they kept swinging and missing. It didn’t feel like I had my best stuff, but obviously I must have done something right.

W: Do you think you can keep it up for the remainder of the season?

M: Of course.

W: This weekend is going to be Senior Weekend, how’s that going to be?

M: It’s going to be emotional but it’s going to be very exciting for me. It’s been a great four years and I’ve accomplished something that most people never will, at such a young age, too, so it will be emotional, but all things must come to an end sometime.

W: What is the best birthday present you’ve ever received?

M: Probably my car, a 2003 silver (Volkswagen) Jetta, back when I turned 16. Now I have a 2008 Jetta. (Laughs) I’ve upgraded.

W: Is your car really dirty, or do you have a nice, clean car?

M: Actually, I just got a car wash last weekend because my grandparents are out here, so if you asked me a week ago, I would have told you that I haven’t moved out of my car as of two years ago. But as of right now, it is clean with the exception of the trunk, where everything is.

W: So you have a lot of junk in the trunk then?

M: (Laughs) Yeah, everything has been put into the trunk.

W: Waffles or pancakes?

M: Waffles, with peanut butter.

W: Favorite Movie?

M: Right now, “”P.S. I Love You,”” but all-time, “”A League of Their Own”” is up there.

– interview by Michael Fitzpatrick