Tate exits with injury as Arizona gets routed by Utah 42-10

Kevin+Sumlin+coaches+the+team+from+the+sidelines+during+the+UA+v+USC+game+on+Saturday%2C+Sep+29+at+Arizona+Stadium.+
Madeleine Viceconte
Kevin Sumlin coaches the team from the sidelines during the UA v USC game on Saturday, Sep 29 at Arizona Stadium.

Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong for Arizona football on Friday night.

The Wildcats failed to show up in all three phases of the game in Salt Lake City as they were pummeled 42-10 by the Utah Utes. 

Arizona (3-4, 2-2) used three different quarterbacks against Utah, but none were able to provide any type of spark for an offense that’s mustered just 20 points in the last eight quarters. The Wildcat defense surrendered 450-plus yards for the fifth time this season, as Utah scored the first 28 points of the game and didn’t look back.

UA starting quarterback Khalil Tate aggravated his lower-leg injury on the second series of the game and missed the remainder of the night. True freshman Jamarye Joiner filled in for two series, going 3-4 passing for 17 yards but missed an opportunity to potentially get Arizona on the scoreboard. 

Sophomore Rhett Rodriguez took the rest of the snaps under center for the Wildcats and went 19-36 for 226 yards, including his first career touchdown pass in the fourth quarter on a 42-yard strike to Cedric Peterson.

Utah made the early statement going on a 15-play, 7:13 touchdown drive to get Rice Eccles Stadium roaring on the opening drive. From there the Utes poured it on and never let the Wildcats back in the game. 

Tyler Huntley had a night to remember for Utah. The junior quarterback gashed Marcel Yates’ unit for 201 passing yards with two touchdowns on 14-19 completions and added 64 rushing yards with a score on the ground. Oh, and he caught a 58-yard touchdown pass from receiver Britain Covey on a trick play to start the second half. 

Trailing 28-0 at the end of the first half, Rodriguez drove Arizona into the red zone with 0:10 remaining. Instead of taking a shot towards the end zone, the ‘Cats attempted a field goal and kicker Josh Pollack missed it wide left. 

UA’s first points of the game came on a Pollack field goal in the third quarter, and their first touchdown came at the beginning of the fourth on Rodriguez’ pass to Peterson. But that was all the Wildcats could show for. 

Scoring plays:

• Utah: Tyler Huntley 8-yard TD pass to Samson Nacua at 7:47 in first quarter (7-0)
  • Utah: Zack Moss 1-yard TD run at 2:47 in first quarter (14-0)
  • Utah: Tyler Huntley 68-yard TD pass to Demari Simpkins at 10:39 in the second quarter (21-0)
  • Utah: Tyler Huntley 3-yard TD rush at 1:56 in the second quarter (28-0)
  • Utah: Britain Covey 58-yard TD pass to Tyler Huntley at 13:12 in the third quarter (35-0)
  • Arizona: Josh Pollack 37-yard field goal at 9:16 in the third quarter (35-3)
  • Arizona: Rhett Rodriguez 42-yard TD pass to Cedric Peterson at 13:23 in the fourth quarter (35-10)
  • Utah: Armand Shyne 22-yard TD rush at 6:14 in the fourth quarter (45-10)

What’s next:

Arizona will have an extra day of preparation for its next game as the ‘Cats travel to Los Angeles next week to take on the 0-5 UCLA Bruins. The status of Tate for the game is unknown. The Arizona-UCLA game will kick off at 7:30 p.m. MST on ESPN2. 

Follow Alec White on Twitter