Gymcats lose to UCLA; set new season high

Arizona junior Erica Anderson performs a yaeger on the uneven bars during Fridays meet against No. 9 UCLA in McKale Center. the Gymcats scored a season high, but were defeated by the Bruins 196.575-196.050.
    Arizona junior Erica Anderson performs a yaeger on the uneven bars during Friday’s meet against No. 9 UCLA in McKale Center. the Gymcats scored a season high, but were defeated by the Bruins 196.575-196.050.

On Friday, the No. 17 Arizona gymnastics team suffered its first home blemish of the season, as it was downed by No. 9 UCLA (12-0, 8-0 Pacific 10 Conference) 196.575 – 196.050.

The Gymcats (5-3, 2-3) posted a season-high score for the second week in a row.

“”I feel good,”” said UA head coach Bill Ryden. “”This is a good road to be on after ASU (last week) and now this. It’s our season high – we’re very happy with that, yet we know we can be better.””

Arizona started the meet strong on the vault and uneven bars as it had its highest running score, 98.2, after two rotations all season.

Senior Karin Wurm led Arizona in both events, finishing fourth on the vault with a season-high score of 9.850 and third on the bars with a 9.9.

The beam proved to be a stumbling block for Arizona as junior Beamer Bergeson fell and freshman Colleen Fisher nearly hit the mat as well. Seniors Danielle Hicks and Wurm stabilized the event by scoring a 9.875 and a 9.850, earning a tie for first and third place finish, respectively.

“”We just weren’t sharp on beam,”” Ryden said. “”We fought to stay on. We didn’t have to count a fall, which is good, but you can’t be taking that balance check (every time).””

The Gymcats managed to shake off their difficulties on the beam by putting together a strong floor rotation, despite having a fall from sophomore Miranda Russell.

Junior Alexis Greene led the event off with an emotional routine that Ryden said “”officially marked the return of Alexis Greene.””

“”I was so excited,”” Greene said. “”I actually almost started crying. My goal was to be able to do everything that I had done before (the torn Achilles), and I’m just so excited to do my floors routine again, especially in front of a home crowd.””

Wurm won the event tying a career high score of 9.9 and junior Sarah Specht set a career high 9.875 to earn second.

For the fourth meet in a row, Wurm won the all-around title, this time setting a career high with a 39.50, despite being in a lot of pain from a stress fracture in her foot.

“”(My foot) was definitely more sore this week,”” she said. “”I was doing an experiment by not wearing (the walking) boot, and obviously it didn’t go too well.””

Ryden said he considered taking her out of a couple of events because she was in so much pain.

“”We have to get her back in the boot and put some drugs in her,”” he said. “”But that’s a tough girl.””