Some dorm residents still in temporary housing

There are still 120 students still living in temporary dormitory housing, and Residence Life officials say they don’t expect the situation to change for the next year.

Jim Van Arsdel, Assistant Vice-President for Residence Life and University Housing, said his team has been chipping away at the number, placing some students in permanent housing– but it’s been a slow process.

“”We are down from around 200 students, so we have made significant process,”” Van Arsdel said.

The cause for the slow progress is due to a lack of vacancies caused by the fact that few students have moved out of their dorm rooms during the semester. The only way for displaced students to get housing is if a vacancy opens up, Residence Life officials said.

“”The reason why we haven’t been able to move more quickly is that more people have not been moving out—so I guess that is the good news in all of this,”” Van Arsdel said.

Faith Flynn, an undecided freshman, said she actually prefers living in her “”temporary housing assignment””, than to be moved mid-way through the semester.

“”I would actually rather stay here for the rest of the year rather than dealing with moving, a new roommate, and a new location on campus,”” Flynn said. “”I actually really like where I live.””

Residence Life said they expect the same deficit of housing for next year, with the combined spike in enrollment and thinning of resources, so they are trying to make the situation as appealing and fair as possible.

Residence Life officials said the temporary housing rooms are actually larger than typical dorm rooms and students are charged the lowest possible rate.

Stay with DailyWildat.com for more