Police Beat: September 3

A disconcerting fibber

A UA student went to the University of Arizona Police Department, on Aug. 26 at approximately 2:19 p.m., to report that she was concerned for the welfare of her ex-boyfriend.

A UAPD officer spoke with her, and was told the student had ended her relationship in May, after which her ex appeared to become depressed. She said she had last spoken with him on Aug. 24, and that he had made up an elaborate story of two girls who had made threats to kill him on Facebook. He later admitted to the student that the story wasn’t true, and told her no one liked him, including his parents. He also continued to text the student after she had asked him to stop.

The officer then contacted the student’s ex, also a UA student, regarding his welfare.

The man told the officer he was depressed over summer, but spoke with a friend about his depression and got over it. He denied any thoughts of hurting himself, and when the officer asked if he wanted to speak with a behavioral professional, he said he already had an appointment with a therapist. The officer did not observe any signs that the man needed any further assistance and informed the Dean of Students office.

Window of opportunity

While on patrol on Aug. 26 at approximately 5:30 p.m., a UAPD officer was dispatched to take a call regarding a stolen backpack.

The officer contacted the victim, a UA faculty member, who told the officer that he had left his backpack in the Kuiper Space Sciences building that morning, and left the area. The room the backpack was in had been left open and unlocked between approximately 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. When the faculty member returned to the room, he noticed his backpack missing. He estimated the value of his possessions at approximately $1,000. At the time of the report, there were no suspects.

Not so fast

Two UA students were diverted to the Dean of Students office for underage drinking, on Aug. 26 at approximately 10:52 p.m., after a UAPD officer spotted them staggering across Park Avenue.

The officer contacted the students and had them sit on the curb before speaking with them. The students had bloodshot and watery eyes, and the officer could smell alcohol on their breath.

The officer identified them and read them their Miranda rights before the students told the officer that they were coming from a fraternity party and returning to their residence hall. They admitted to drinking alcohol in their dorm, and the officer diverted them to the Dean of Students office.

-Follow Alison Dorf @AlisonRaeDorf