Rap’s bad rap

For more than a decade, the lyrics and images produced by the hip-hop industry have come under fire for encouraging and perpetuating the objectification of women. In recent years, songs like Webbie’s 2007 “”Independent”” and Drake’s 2010 “”Fancy”” have challenged this assumption with songs that highlight “”positive”” female role models. While the objectification still present in songs like these is up for debate, it is clear that on some level proponents of the hip-hop industry are interested in addressing this criticism. In some on-the-Mall interviews, a few of your fellow Wildcats weigh in on the debate.

Daily Wildcat: Do you find it unusual that as a victim of domestic abuse, Rihanna would release a song about domestic abuse, especially one that might be interpreted romanticizing a cycle of domestic abuse?

Larry Le (biochemistry sophomore): No. Singers sing about their lives. They can use that to become popular again.

Do you consider yourself a fan of hip-hop, dance, or top 40 music? What do you like about that kind of music?

Kayla John (pre-education freshman): I like the beat. It’s fun to dance to.

Do you think that kind of music contains themes or lyrics that are derogatory towards women?

Absolutely.

Do you find it unusual that as a victim of domestic abuse, Rihanna would release a song about domestic abuse, especially one that might be interpreted romanticizing a cycle of domestic abuse?

Yeah. She wanted to be all “”secretive”” about it, but then a song came out about it. I feel like it was a response.

Nick Lenhart (marketing sophomore): Yes, but at the same time women in the hip-hop industry and in society are conforming to those negative descriptions that are going on in the song. Maybe at first it was offensive, to our parents, or to us … but you go out and you see it. It’s there. It’s not a made-up thing.

No, that’s not unusual. What else is funny is that the NFL’s MVP is a convict and our most recent Heisman winner was arrested for theft. You can get away with it if you have power and people will praise you for whatever you do. They can get away with it, and that’s the truth.