The African Students’ Association brings the diverse cultures of Africa to campus in its annual fashion show on Saturday

Courtesy Fredick Impraim Photography

Model poses on the runway during the 2015 cultural fashion show hosted by ASA. This year’s show will showcase styles from all around the African continent.

The culture and style of Africa will come to the UA today in a fashion show organized by members of the University of Arizona African Students’ Association.

“The preparations started in July and since then, a lot of effort hasbeen put in not only by me, but also by all the other members,” said Natalie Impraim, a junior studying German and political science.

RELATED: Tucson Fashion Week designers tell us about themselves, their brands

Originally from Ghana, Impraim is head of the ASA and has been a member since her freshman year.“A lot of things have been imported from Africa, such as handmade items from Kenya that arrived a few weeks ago and several handkerchiefs,” Impraim said. “Some designers even imported the material they used on their clothing from countries like Senegal and Ivory Coast.”

All of the styles will come from Arizona-based African designers such as Ola Chi Jediddah, who will show her brand, “Lachy’s Closet.”

Impraim said the fashion show will represent every African nation because most members from the club are from over a dozen countries in Africa.

“It will be different from your average fashion show in the sense that it won’t simply be centered on the modeling aspect,” Impraim said.

The fashion show will also host drum performances, traditional dances and spoken word poetry—all of which are rooted in African culture.

RELATED: Tucson Fashion Week unites the national fashion scene to the Old Pueblo

The student-led organization, made up of an assortment of African students, believes in the reservation and preservation of African culture. Through the fashion show, they hope to educate the audience on African culture and what it means to them.

“We were able to do a lot of advertising through social media and word of mouth,” Impraim said. “The tickets are all sold out. It has been the best public reception so far since the creation of the fashion show a few years ago.”

Tickets are $20 at the door—$25 for VIP— and can also be purchased online. The show starts at 7 p.m. 

Follow Maryline Moulongo on Twitter.