Police Beat: April 1

Feeling out forgery

Counterfeit bills were found at several locations on campus around March 17.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the Student Union Memorial Center on March 30 around 10:54 a.m. and spoke with an accounting employee.

Immediately on contact, the employee handed the officer the two counterfeit bills.

She said that a $50 bill was used during the NCAA basketball tournament at McKale Center sometime on March 17.

The $10 bill was used at Cactus Grill sometime before March 17.

That bill wasn’t turned in immediately because Cactus Grill employees kept it on hand as an example of a counterfeit bill for their cashiers.

The accounting employee said she knew they were counterfeit based on the way they felt. She said they were not ordinary bill fabric.

The officer took the bills and placed them into UAPD evidence and forwarded it on to U.S. Secret Service.

Bust the windows out ya car

A non-UA affiliated man busted in the window of a parked car at Phi Gamma Delta fraternity, known as FIJI,  fraternity house on March 30 around 8 p.m.

A UAPD officer contacted a member of FIJI in the alley north of the house and interviewed him about what happened.

He said that an unknown man repeatedly struck the driver’s side door and window of his car with a rock.

A fraternity member in a bedroom in the chapter house saw the man damaging the car.

Another member verbally confronted the man from the window and the perpetrator stopped vandalizing the car and fled.

Later, the suspect was apprehended by another officer and brought to the member’s attention.

He said that was the man who did the damage.

The FIJI appraised the damage to be under $1,000 and chose not to press criminal charges against the perpetrator.

The apprehended man refused to comment on the incident and was released.

‘Suspicious’ Tucsonans scavenging for food

An anonymous caller to UAPD reported a suspicious vehicle on March 26 at 2:41 a.m.

The car was driving slowly on Highland Avenue and “”didn’t look right”” the caller said.

The same vehicle was spotted again on Park Avenue at James E. Rogers Way.

A UAPD officer in the area made a U-turn and followed the vehicle on Second Street.

At Mountain Avenue, the car signaled right and then suddenly jerked left and continued on Second Street.

The vehicle failed to turn right into the garage in the right-turn only lane and the officer stopped the vehicle.

The driver and the passenger each said that they were looking to eat and were not familiar with campus streets.

The officer then directed them to Park Avenue and Speedway Boulevard for all-night restaurants.

‘Toxic’ graffiti found in parking lot

Black graffiti was found at the Sixth Street parking lot on March 29.

At 2 p.m. a UAPD officer was conducting a parking lot check and noticed that the east wall of a UA building was vandalized with graffiti.

A large black letter “”N”” was founded on the textured white wall.

The “”N”” underscored the entire lettering that continued to read “”toxin.””

The officer informed general maintenance of the graffiti.

Photos were taken of the graffiti and placed into UAPD evidence.