Officials refuse to release fair totals

Claire C. Laurence/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Spring Fling patrons wait for their turn to ride one of the staple-mark attractions, the Zipper.
    Claire C. Laurence/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Spring Fling patrons wait for their turn to ride one of the staple-mark attractions, the Zipper.

Officials estimated that Spring Fling had a higher attendance and profits this year compared to past years but were reluctant to provide any numbers indicating so.

Patrick Bray, executive director of Spring Fling, said organizers had no reason to release numbers to the public, even though they have in the past.

“”We don’t give exact numbers, not this year,”” he said. “”It’s a change of marketing, we’ve been advised to do this.””

The Arizona Daily Wildcat filed a public information request for the Spring Fling budget last night that was unanswered at press time.

Bray said that the carnival was “”up from years past”” through the sales of the booths, tickets and rides, but he did not say which specific years he was referring to and he did not provide the Wildcat with documentation.

“”With the current numbers we have, we are operating in the (positive),”” he said.

He said this year’s numbers were higher than in past years because of more aggressive marketing, the partnership with the Tucson Community Food bank and good weather.

Allie Gilliland, vice president of external relations of Kappa Alpha Theta, said she thought the sorority’s Double Decker Water Rack booth had made more money than the $800 it made in the past.

“”I think we had a better turnout than previous times,”” she said. “”I think it went really well, it was a lot of fun. We (got) to hang out with kids and have them participate in our booth.””

Gilliland said all the proceeds will go to the Court Appointed Special Advocate Association as part of the sorority’s philanthropy.

She said it usually takes about a week for the Spring Fling committee to count up the tickets and tell the clubs and organizations how much money their ticket sales translate to.

Ashley Ellis, president of the Alpha Phi sorority, said she didn’t think her organization made money.

“”It’s not a fundraiser for us. Last year we lost $150,”” she said.

Ellis said her sorority was in charge of the Krispy Kreme booth at the carnival and chose to sell doughnuts because it was something they thought people would like.

Ellis said the organization participated in the event not to make money but because members liked the partnership, teamwork and networking that came along with managing a booth.

She said the sorority worked in conjunction with the fraternity Kappa Sigma, and both organizations enjoyed meeting people from their respective organizations and hanging out with each other during their shifts at Spring Fling.

“”It’s fun to get out there,”” she said. “”It’s a spirit-tradition type of thing.””

UA sororities, fraternities and clubs involved with Spring Fling 2005 made an estimated $52,000 during the four-day event, which was up from sales in spring 2004, when the event made about $42,000.

– Aubrey McDonnell contributed to this report.