Jay-Z not ASUA’s first choice

In the $1 million concert ASUA has touted as being one of the greatest to grace the UA campus, it turns out hip-hop artist Chris Brown was supposed to be the big name on the marquee – not Jay-Z.

The show was originally supposed to open with The Veronicas, followed by Third Eye Blind and Kelly Clarkson, with Brown as the headliner, according to redacted documents obtained from the Office of University Communications via a public records request.

Brown’s legal troubles began in February when the artist turned himself in to police while under investigation for domestic abuse. He was charged with felony assault and making criminal threats on March 5.

After months of speculation, the show’s sponsor, the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, announced the lineup for the concert on Mar. 25, with Jay-Z as the headlining artist.

ASUA officials were tight-lipped as to whether the university terminated contract talks or if Brown himself decided not to play the show in the wake of his run-in with the law.

“”You won’t get us to answer that,”” said Tommy Bruce, ASUA president. “”Nothing is concrete with any artist until there is a signed contract, which is why we don’t announce until we have signed contracts, basically.””

In fact, the student government was hesitant to even say how far contract negotiations had gone.

“”We were in conversations with hundreds of artists to come here,”” said Bruce. “”At the time, we were looking at Chris Brown, yeah.””

Jay-Z and his production company are set to make $750,000 for his appearance at Arizona Stadium. Rapper Kanye West received $220,000 for his “”Glow in the Dark Tour”” concert last April at McKale Center.

ASUA has said that they would cover the expenses of the stadium show from ticket sales, sponsorships and merchandise revenue.

As the ticket situation stands, ASUA is “”currently close to cutting even,”” Bruce said.