Scrabble cufflinks are sweet

Scrabble cufflinks are sweet

Some people have great fashion sense without even trying, while others are passionate about fashion finds and deals. The UA is home to so many fashion-forward students – and some even-more-fashionable faculty members. It must spice up any class when the professor wears a cooler outfit than you.

Fashion Facts got word of one teacher whose impeccable taste stands out amongst the usual rigid business suit or jeans and polo shirts most faculty members are seen wearing.

Bradford Melrose is a graduate teaching associate and doctoral student in teaching and teacher education. He always dresses in his best for class, as well as outside of class. That includes suits and cuff links – even argyle socks to match.

Melrose said his style is influenced by some very interesting people, including everyone’s favorite cardigan-wearing storyteller, Fred Rogers of “”Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood.””

Another influence is Julius “”Nipsey”” Russell, a comedian and poet who frequented TV game shows such as “”Hollywood Squares”” and “”Pyramid.””

“”My classroom style infuses the sartorial sophistication of a young Fred Rogers, the refined tailoring of a middle-aged Nipsey Russell and the flair and grace of an old Liberace,”” Melrose said.

Melrose obviously takes the time to find interesting pieces, like his light blue and white seersucker suit. Jokingly, Melrose said he purchases many of his clothes from estate sales of the cast members of “”Love Boat.”” In reality, he does much of his shopping online.

Melrose’s biggest fashion influences are his father, former Illinois Sen. Paul Simon, “”Revenge of the Nerds”” character Lewis Skolnick and Menudo, a former Puerto Rican boy band that featured a young Ricky Martin.

Melrose’s style outside the classroom is just as flawless.

“”My style outside the classroom juxtaposes the simple elegance of Captain Merrill, with the casual chic of Isaac Washington,”” he said.

Melrose wears his favorite seersucker suit, along with a crisp white button-down with his personalized Scrabble cufflinks (which he got online) and a chic tie. His socks match his color scheme, and his light brown and white shoes add even more class.