Sean Miller’s contract approved

The Arizona Board of Regents approved UA Men’s Head Basketball Coach Sean Miller’s seven-year contract at their meeting in Flagstaff Thursday.

The contract was originally approved as a five-year deal, with a clause adding two years to the contract after Miller’s first two years as coach, barring any reason for termination.

Miller will receive a $900,000 base salary, along with the use of a private jet and other incentives.

With incoming funds from outside resources, Miller will essentially walk away with about $1.6 million per year.

The contract was approved after several brief questions from the Board in regards to what non-athletic benefits can be derived from signing someone of Miller’s stature.

UA President Robert Shelton responded by pointing out the challenges that intercollegiate athletes face on and off the court and his great faith in Miller’s ability to be a positive influence on student athletes.

“”We believe that Miller is a stellar individual, and has a great record of graduating his players,”” Shelton said.

If Miller finishes out his contract, he will net an extra $1 million. If the coach leaves early, though, he will be forced to pay the UA $500,000.

Incentives included $50,000 for winning a conference championship in the regular season or Pacific 10 Conference Tournament, as well as $300,000 if Miller’s Wildcats make it to the Final Four. A national championship would give the head coach $675,000.