Around town

Around town

Wednesday, Oct. 7

Max Cannon. The “”Red Meat”” cartoonist will sign copies of his Marvel Comic, “”Strange Tales #2.”” (No word on when he’ll take on Richie Rich and Casper the Friendly Ghost.) Original art from the issue will be on display. 4-6 p.m. Fantasy Comics, 2595 N. First Ave. Free.

“”Children of Heaven.”” Roger Ebert called this 1997 Iranian film “”very nearly a perfect movie for children”” and predicted that it might be “”their perfect introduction to subtitles.”” On the other hand, be careful — give your kid a taste of this sort of thing, and the next thing you know he’ll be attending Fellini screenings and looking down his nose at you for liking “”Twilight.”” It’s a slippery slope. Part of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies’ First Wednesday Film Series. 7 p.m. ILC, Room 130. Free.

Dr. Dog. No, it’s not a vet — in fact, it’s not even a person. It’s a psychedelic rock band from the least psychedelic place in the world — Philadelphia. They’ve been compared to Guided By Voices and Pavement — which doesn’t tell you much, since every indie band in the world sounds at least a little bit like Guided By Voices and Pavement. 8 p.m. Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $12 in advance; $14 day of show.

Thursday, Oct. 8

Brian Stauffer. The UA graduate and international illustrator whose work has appeared in such publications as The New York Times, Rolling Stone, Esquire, GQ and The Nation, will speak about his exhibit “”Hard Eyes: Images in Empathy,”” which opens Friday. Next time you’re doodling a picture of your dog while you’re supposed to be taking notes in economics, just think — one day that dog could be in Esquire! 4-6:30 p.m. UA Museum of Art. Free with admission, which is $5 for adults, free for students, faculty and UAMA members.

Tucson Film and Music Festival. This four-day celebration of all-things-cinema kicks off with “”Till You’re Told to Stop”” at Cinema la Placita at 7:30 p.m. Now, if only they could think of a more exciting name for it. For a complete schedule, visit www.tucsonfilmandmusicfestival.com.

Various times and venues. $40 for an all-access pass.

Friday, Oct. 9

Tucson Meet Yourself. This yearly event features food, festivities and various performances. 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday. Visit www.tucsonmeetyourself.org for more information. Free.

Tucson Pride Parade and Block Party. You’re invited to turn out for Tucson’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community’s parade and block party. Fourth Avenue, between Second and Seventh Streets. Call 622-3200 for more information. Starts at 6 p.m. Free.

Pueblo Noir: Hotel Congress’s 90th Birthday Bash. Featuring a 25-piece marching band, Albuquerque’s La Chat Lunatique, a giant birthday cake, a complimentary midnight champagne toast, mariachis and a personal appearance from John Dillinger. Well, OK, no Dillinger — he’s dead. But all the other things are real. Visit parasolproject.com for more information. 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St. 21+. $8 in advance; $8 with costume; $10 day of show.

“”Straightlaced: How Gender’s Got Us All Tied Up.”” Having trouble lacing that girdle? Well, this movie probably won’t help you, since it’s about gender. But keep at it. 7:30 p.m. SUMC, Gallagher Theater. Free.

Saturday, Oct. 10

Wanda Jackson. The “”Queen of Rockabilly,”” as Bob Dylan dubbed her, is 65 and still rocking as hard as she did back in the ’50s when she toured with the likes of Elvis. No word on whether the King himself will join her onstage, but you can split a Quaalude in the back if he shows. With The El Camino Royales. Doors open at 9 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $15.

Sunday, Oct. 11

“”Patsy Mink: Ahead of the Majority.”” This is a film about the first Asian-American woman in Congress. We’ve got no snark for this event, but we do have to say that “”Patsy Mink”” is a really awesome name. 1 p.m. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. $10.

Ghiant. A “”quirky”” acoustic singer-songwriter said to sound like Ween, Beck and Dinosaur Jr. He’s also known for unnecessary use of the letter H. 9:30 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. In the lounge. No cover.

Monday, Oct. 12

A Day to Remember. No, it’s not a belated 9/11 tribute, it’s a pop-punk band from Florida. All ages. Doors open at 3:30 p.m., and the show begins at 4. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St. $17.50 in advance; $20 day of show.

“”The Laramie Project: Ten Years Later.”” See story, B1. Presented by UApresents. 7 p.m. Centennial Hall, 1020 E. University Blvd. Free.

Tuesday, Oct. 13

A Place to Bury Strangers. This band has been likened to Joy Division, The Cure, the Jesus and Mary Chain, and every other band that ever made a teenager want to lie on his bed and stare gloomily at the ceiling. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. With Darker My Love and All The Saints. Doors open at 9 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $12.

— compiled by Justyn Dillingham