Orchestra takes audience around the world

Music is intended to allow people to detach themselves from everyday life. With music from Mexico to ancient Rome and from Romania to the Wild West, the Arizona Symphony Orchestra concert is sure to transport the audience’s imagination to different corners of the globe and certainly far from the doldrums of everyday life.

The Arizona Symphony, the UA’s premier orchestra ensemble, will present a concert that should recreate different atmospheres of time and place through music.

The ensemble consists of undergraduate and graduate students as well as music and non-music majors. The program for Saturday is designed around popular pieces. Thomas Cockrell, an assistant professor of music and director of orchestral activities at the School of Music, will be conducting on Saturday night.

“”We’re recreating an atmosphere at a different time and place. The theme of the concert will be music in time and space and music placed in a historical context,”” Cockrell said.

The orchestra’s pieces are varied. One piece is John Williams’ “”Cowboy Overture”” which was used in the John Wayne film “”The Cowboys.”” Another is Aaron Copland’s “”El Salon Mexico”” which was inspired by Copland’s trip to a famous dance hall in Mexico City. The piece gives Copland’s impressions of the atmosphere of this famous dance hall in Mexico City. “”Romanian Rhapsody”” blends the soothing sound of the orchestra with traditional Romanian folk music.

Additionally, the orchestra will play Ottorino Respighip’s “”The Pines of Rome.””

“”‘Pines of Rome’ involves time travel, as it takes us from modern day Rome to ancient Rome. The music is colorful and descriptive. It’s a real crowd-pleaser and is a favorite for symphonies,”” Cockrell said.

To add to the travel of time and geography, other musical groups will also be performing. These special guests include the UA’s Mariachi Arizona and the Tucson Ethnic Dance Ensemble to help set the mood for the worldly concert.

The Arizona Symphony Orchestra will be performing on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at Centennial Hall. Admission is free.