Sincere Weepies to sail through Plush

Sincere Weepies to sail through Plush

Steve Tannen and Deb Talan are the husband and wife duo behind The Weepies. Their latest album, Be My Thrill, hit stores Aug. 31; it supports their first tour in four years, which stops at Plush on Nov. 22 at 8 p.m.

“”(Our name) came from wanting to make music that reaches people in that feelingful place where tears come from … for joy or sorrow … but that intensity of feeling is why we’re drawn to music,”” Talan said to Kim Ruehl of About.com. This is the foundation for their name as well as their identity within the competitive world of music.

Americans function in a cyclical rut, obsessed with the latest fads and sounds, often forgetting what most musicians omit from their music: feeling. The Weepies want to reach people with the sincerity of their music as opposed to driving them into an overzealous frenzy with pounding bass and ill-advised lyrics.

It is especially refreshing to know that such a philosophy exists in the creators of music, and it definitely shines through their lyrics and their performances. They sound better in person than on their record. Talan has a clear tone which, when it climbs out of her range, becomes slightly flat, yet it shimmers with Tannen’s steady tenor when they switch leads and harmonies. Their acoustic guitars stay within the realm of blocked chords, but this does not limit their ability to compile perfectly pleasant tunes, which gives all the background instrumentalists a chance to be heard.

They may not be the most famous or the most ingenious tour coming our way, but their intentions aren’t to astound us with bravado and a light show. Rather, they want to astound us with the indelibility of their words and allow this steady format to capture the energy of old friends with intoxicating spirit.