College Football Takeaways: Oregon outlasts ASU in three overtimes

Andrew Tat

Courtesy of Andrew Tat/UW Daily

Washington linebacker Travis Feeney (41) sacks Arizona quarterback Anu Solomon (12) at Husky Stadium in Seattle, Washington on Saturday, Oct. 31.

With only four games remaining in the season, it is still difficult to tell which teams will be in the college football playoff, as there are 11 that have yet to lose. Last week we saw many teams fall in the face of a truly tougher opponent. Many top-ranked teams were challenged early and were in need of a full game to pull away.

Oh so close

That’s what the Temple faithful will be saying after nearly knocking off top 10 ranked Notre Dame last Saturday. Notre Dame pulled away in the final minutes after it appeared that the Owls were on the verge of one of the best wins in program history.

Temple was previously undefeated and had many under the impression they could be the non-Power Five school to get one of the new years six bowls. Notre Dame quarterback DeShone Kizer carried the Irish once again, throwing for nearly 300 yards and rushing for two touchdowns. Kizer has impressed since coming in for the injured Malik Zaire in week two, the Irish haven’t missed beat and with a season-ending game against fellow top 10 ranked Stanford, the Irish are still very alive in the race for a playoff spot.

Top teams challenged

The Pac-12 Conference surprises us each week, and last week was no different. Oregon beat Arizona State in a triple overtime shootout 61-55, both teams combined for over 1200 yards of offense as the teams traded scores all night.

Elsewhere, both Stanford and UCLA were challenged by lesser opponents. After being down at the half Stanford needed a furious comeback and a potential game-winning field goal miss by Washington State to win. Colorado stormed back against UCLA after the Bruins blew an 18-point lead, keeping their hopes of a conference title still in tact.

Here come the Cowboys

The talk of Big 12 this season has been all about TCU and Baylor as the world of college football waits for the two to play in what will determine which team gets a spot in this year’s playoff, but all of that could change as Oklahoma State remains among the undefeated and looks to spoil the party. Its schedule does become extremely difficult in the final four games as the school still has to play TCU, Baylor and Oklahoma. But who’s to say the Cowboys can’t run the table? They have shocked everyone so far, why not continue their great run of form?

Follow Noah Sonnet on Twitter.