More pleats please

Pleats are “in.” And while we may not be seeing a whole lot of pleated skirts on campus right now, they’ve been spotted in New York City street fashion, celebrity photos and magazine spreads.

Let’s also not forget to mention Miuccia Prada’s ‘50s-inspired ready-to-wear line for spring 2012. It’s all about the pleats. Elle magazine devoted a whole page to knife-pleated skirts in its February issue. And if Elle says yes to pleats, I say yes to pleats.

If any of you went to private school, you might associate knife pleats (aka electric pleats) with your plaid jumper. Or maybe you associate them with your tennis or cheerleading uniform. Whatever fashion don’ts you’re imagining, put them aside; pleats are sleek and classy if worn with garments that complement them.

Since this is a tricky style to pull off, knowing how to wear it is the key. The nice thing about pleated skirts is they will easily take you from winter to spring because of their versatility.

Professional pleats

As a student, the primary use won’t be walking around campus. Wear a pleated skirt to work, an internship or even a Monday night chapter dinner.

A pleated A-line skirt is a wardrobe must-have. Most women have that fabulous black pencil skirt that looks great on their figure. But most of us aren’t always in the mood for figure-hugging garments on our off-days. A pleated skirt is loose, flowy and feminine. Not only will it make an impression for business-casual occasions, but it’ll also be fashion forward and comfortable.

Pair a pleated skirt with a loose blouse and fasten a thin belt at the waist for a smart and stylish look.

Sheer pleated maxi

It’s all about the maxis these days, isn’t it? By now, most are probably stocked up on summer maxi dresses, but maybe not so much on skirts. A pleated maxi in a sheer or silky material is practical for transitioning weather.

If you have a sheer maxi skirt, you could easily wear it in the spring with a pair of flats or sandals. During the winter, a great pair of ankle booties will lengthen the appearance of your body even more. Tucking in a quarter-sleeved button-down will also add a nice contrast between a flowing skirt and a structured top.