Slow sales may force Replay to relocate

Business freshman David Olson searches for a new album at Replay Entertainment in the Student Union Memorial Center. The store may be relocated to the bottom level of the bookstore at the Union because of low sales.

Replay Entertainment could be relocating from the second floor of the Student Union Memorial Center to the lower level of the UA Bookstore this semester due to weak sales.

Catherine Correia, marketing specialist for the UA Bookstore, said Replay Entertainment has failed to profit for the past few semesters.

“”They’re barely breaking even,”” Corriea said. “”The store doesn’t receive subsidies or anything from the university, and it’s just below its break-even point.””

Replay, which opened in fall 2004, is a part of the UA Bookstore and sells CDs, DVDs, video games and electronics.

Replay items do not have a high overhead, so selling a CD or DVD does not return a high profit margin, said Chris Schafer, a Replay Entertainment sales assistant and a senior majoring in English.

Replay is typically busier during the beginning of each semester, when students can charge items to their bursar’s account. Sales slow down after the bursar’s account closes to student charges.

“”I would estimate that we are doing about 70 percent of the business we need to do to stay open,”” Schafer said.

Renting a space on the ground floor of the Student Union Memorial Center can cost anywhere from $20 per square foot to $50 per square foot, said Bill Shiba, associate director of the Arizona Student Unions.

But Replay would not have to pay rent if it located to the lower level of the UA Bookstore next to the Computer and Technology Store, Correia said.

Shiba said there is no information on what kind of business would take Replay Entertainment’s spot if the move occurs, but the location is desirable.

“”Obviously, people want to be on UA campus and in the Unions, so space like that is sought after,”” Shiba said.

The store, which is student-run, does not anticipate laying off any employees during the move, nor will there be a decrease in number of or change in the items they sell.