“Man dead, woman hurt in police standoff”

A man is dead and a woman injured after a shooting followed by a police standoff Tuesday night at a home in an Upper Valley neighborhood.

Neighbors said the couple are in the military, but that information had not been confirmed by El Paso police. Names had not been released.

The man was found dead, possibly of self-inflicted gunshot inside the home, police spokes man Darrel Petry said. The woman had a gun-related injury, possibly a burn or a graze.

The incident began about 6:30 p.m. when police were called regarding a family disturbance at a home on Jardin Bello Avenue in the upper-middle class Montoya Gardensneighborhood, officials said.

“”I saw a woman walk out of the house who appeared to be in a state of shock. She appeared injured,”” said Cesar Fierro, who lives across the street. “”You get nervous. You think you live on a safe street, and then something like this happens.””

Police surrounded the home. About 7, police radio transmissions reported “”shots fired.”” Negotiators and the special weapons and tactics team went to the scene.

Rodrigo and Julie Llamas have lived next door to the couple for a few years. The Llamas children were playing soccer with their nanny in their backyard when the nanny heard the neighbors arguing and then gunshots, Julie Llamas said.

Julie and Rodrigo Llamas were not home at the time and waited nervously down the block away while the nanny and their children remained in their home during the standoff next door.

“”I’m freaking

out right now,”” Julie Llamas said. She described her neighbors as “”a really nice couple. I just hope they are OK.””

At 9:58 the SWAT team entered the home and found the man dead inside, Petry said.