Police Beat

A man was arrested for driving while intoxicated at the intersection of East University Boulevard and North Euclid Avenue at 11:27 p.m. Thursday.

Police pulled over the driver of a red Toyota pickup truck because its rear brake lights were not functioning properly.

When asked if he would perform field sobriety tests, the man refused.

While being asked additional questions, the man said, “”I know I should not have been driving. Can I just be paper-arrested?”” according to reports.

An officer asked the man how he could ask for a favor after being uncooperative.

The man replied, “”So what you are telling me is that if I do the tests, I will be paper-arrested. If I don’t do the tests, you’ll take me to jail,”” according to reports. The officer informed the man that that was not what he said.

After finishing the questions, the man told officers that he changed his mind and wanted to do the field sobriety tests.

The man gave two breath samples and showed blood-alcohol contents of .116 and .117, due to the amount of Seagram’s gin he admitted to drinking.

The man was cited and released to his father at the scene.

The University of Arizona Police Department arrested a drug smuggler at the intersection of East Speedway Boulevard and North First Avenue around 4 a.m. Thursday.

An officer ran the plates of a blue Pontiac Trans Am and saw the driver sway on the dividing line for about 20 yards. A records check revealed that the driver had a felony warrant for his arrest in Graham County.

The officer pulled over the man, then handcuffed and detained him until the warrants were confirmed. He was then arrested. The man asked to have his car towed, and officers complied.

The man was booked into Pima County Jail for previous warrants of possession of dangerous drugs for sale, transport of dangerous drugs for sale or import into state, possession of dangerous drugs, possession of drug paraphernalia, and taking contraband into a correctional facility.

A member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity reported that other members damaged the vending machine he placed in the common room of the fraternity house, 1509 E. Second St., at 10:30 p.m. Nov. 7.

The man told police he bought the vending machine for $1,800 and actively stocked it for people in the house to purchase items from. While he was in Italy, he received a call from a pledge, who told him the machine was damaged and had been stored in his room.

The pledge and the member told their stories of what happened.

According to both, the pledge and another member of the house tried to tip and shake a pack of cigarettes out of the machine because they had not fallen out. The member decided to stop while the machine was unbalanced, and the pledge could not support the weight, so the machine fell forward and broke.

The pledge recognized that he should pay $900 for half of the damage and believes the other member should also pay $900 because of his part in damaging the machine.

The machine’s owner filed a police report in case the pledge decided not to reimburse him.

Police responded to McKale Center, 1721 E. Enke Drive, after an employee of the UA athletics department reported his travel bag and its contents stolen from his office at 5:02 p.m. Nov. 7.

The employee said he left his office unlocked between 7 and 7:30 a.m. When he returned, he noticed that his black Tumi travel bag was gone.

Police contacted the employee around 3 p.m. to inform him that they had found some of his belongings in the Sixth Street Garage, 1200 E. Sixth St. Police found several airline travel cards that the employee claimed were worthless.

He informed the officers that the bag itself was worth $250 and inside the bag were other expensive valuables: his passport, a checkbook for a bank in New York, prescription sunglasses and an NBA playbook.

The employee said he thinks his bag was stolen by someone who worked in his department.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.