Police Beat

An unknown person drove a UA football car into an electrical sign at Arizona Stadium, 530 N. Vine Ave., sometime between 4 p.m. Aug. 2 and 7:30 a.m. Aug. 3.

The car had been parked on the north side of the field behind the bleachers when the groundskeepers locked up the stadium Aug. 2. The groundskeepers returned the next morning and noticed the accident, which had caused damage to the electrical sign

The groundskeepers secured the field except for a small gate on the west side, because the fire marshal requested that it be left open at all times during construction.

There are no suspects at this time.

A man was detained on charges of possession of marijuana after an officer noticed him sleeping on the steps of the Park Student Union, 615 N. Park Ave., at 5:17 a.m. on July 5.

The officer approached the man and could see his eyes were shut, and he appeared to be asleep. The officer tried to wake the man by shaking him and shouting at him. He identified himself as a police officer and the man opened his eyes, looked at the officer and attempted to go back to sleep. The officer shouted at him to wake up. The man woke up and sat on the steps, leaving his hat on the ground. Inside the hat was a plastic baggie with a green leafy substance.

The man admitted that it was marijuana inside his hat. He said he had been drinking the night before on Fourth Avenue with some friends. The man had an odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth as he spoke and could not tell exactly where he was.

The man, 23, said he knew what was in the baggie, but that it was not his. He said he did not know whose it was because he had passed out.

The man was cited and released for possession of marijuana.

Two UA students were caught smoking marijuana in the Second Street Garage, 1340 E. Second St., at 3:09 p.m. June 28.

An officer conducting a security check of the garage observed two men sitting on the ground with their backs against the wall on the top level of the garage.

The officer could see that one of the men had a hand-rolled cigarette in his hand. As he approached the men in his police car, the officer could smell marijuana.

The officer exited his vehicle and asked the two men what they were doing. The man with the rolled cigarette in his hand replied, “”We’re just taking a break from studying.””

The men, both 20 years old, admitted they were smoking marijuana and handed the cigarette to the officer.

The officer put out the cigarette and partially opened it. Inside was a combination of marijuana and tobacco.

The two men agreed to have their backpacks searched and no other illegal items were found.

The students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for use and possession of marijuana.

An officer responded to the area of North Euclid Avenue and East University Boulevard regarding a man urinating on the street and on a tree near Starbucks at 4:40 p.m. July 23.

A Starbucks employee saw the man urinate, then go into the Auld Dubliner Irish Pub, 800 E. University Blvd. An officer made contact with the man and asked to speak to him outside; the man agreed. The officer noticed that the man’s breath and body smelled of intoxicants, his eyes were bloodshot and he swayed back and forth.

The man, 25, said he had been drinking because he had just lost custody of his son in court. The officer asked the man if he remembered urinating on a tree in front of Starbucks. The man used a curse word and replied, “”I don’t know; I don’t remember.””

The employee positively identified the man, and he was arrested on charges of criminal nuisance and urinating in public. The man asked the officer if he could call a friend to come pick him up.

While waiting, the man began to cry and bang his head on the concrete floor. The officer asked the man not to bang his head and told him that he would have to handcuff him and call the medics if he did it again. The man agreed, but within a few minutes he began to do it again.

The officer handcuffed the man for his own protection and contacted the medics. Tucson Fire Department arrived and examined the man, finding no injuries or further concerns. The man told TFD that he would not act out again or bang his head, and was released to his friend.

Three men were arrested for trespassing after they hopped a wall to get into Arizona Stadium at 3:32 a.m. June 11.

An officer was called after someone reported seeing the men exiting the stadium by climbing over a wall on the southwest corner.

The men, ages 23, 20 and 19, did not have any form of identification and verbally identified themselves to the officer. When asked what they were doing in the stadium, one replied that they were just enjoying the view. All three men acknowledged that because they had to climb a wall to get into the stadium, they probably should not have been there. One added that “”it wasn’t a very high wall”” as if it were a mitigating circumstance, according to police reports.

All three men were arrested on charges of second-degree criminal trespassing. Two of the men said they did not have addresses and were staying with friends. The two men were transported to Pima County Jail, where they were booked.
    The third man was cited and released.