May movie releases to treat yourself to after finals

We have a lot to look forward to in the month of May. Final projects, tests, reports and the like which will sentence us to long hours of studying and writing in the beginning of the month. However, for the remainder, we are free to enjoy ourselves because of our impending summer vacation. With this newfound free time, we’ll be looking for things to do. Why not go see some new film releases? Drive to your hometown’s movie theater, splurge on some popcorn and candy and let the credits roll.

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2”

The highly-anticipated sequel to the 2014 superhero film is finally upon us. Kick off your summer vacation following Peter Quill, whose character role is reprised by Chris Pratt, through the cosmos in search of answers regarding his true background and parentage. Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Sean Gunn and Glenn Close will all be along for the ride, reprising their roles from the first film. Fans don’t have to wait for long. This film will premiere May 5, and director James Gunn has already announced his intention to make a third film in the series. 

via GIPHY

“The Dinner” 

For those feeling edgy following finals, you may want to check out this mystery-thriller film. Featuring stars like Richard Gere, Steve Coogan and Laura Linney, this film is based on a novel by Herman Koch. You’ll learn just how far some parents will go in protecting their children come May 5. It may even give you some newfound appreciation for your parents’ own parenting style. 

“The Lovers”

This film will give you an alternative approach to reigniting that romantic spark with this twisted, yet amusing, love story. Debra Winger and Tracy Letts play a couple that’s been married forever who have lost the passion and romance in their relationship. As a result, both are in heavy affairs. Yet, just as they are about to officially end things, a spark reignites and they find themselves falling in love again, chasing after an unexpected romance. The comedic and backwards way of fixing a relationship will hit theaters May 5.

“3 Generations”

Made in 2015, it will be released May 5. The film follows the story of Ray, played by Elle Fanning, who realizes that his true identity is a male and subsequently pursues it. Ray’s family must come to terms with this transition and learn to accept him for who he truly is, including Ray’s mother, played by Naomi Watts, Ray’s absentee father, played by Tate Donovan, and Ray’s lesbian grandmother, played by Susan Sarandon. Made in 2015, it will be released May 5.

“Snatched” 

Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn star in this screwball action comedy as a mother-daughter duo that takes a vacation that turns hilariously wrong. Hawn is a veteran movie star that we haven’t seen on-screen since 2002’s “The Banger Sisters.” Schumer is a well-known comedian through her work on “Inside Amy Schumer” and met success with 2015’s “Trainwreck.” Hawn herself is a notable comedic actress with her roles in “Foul Play,” “Seems Like Old Times,” and “Overboard.” These two women will no doubt have us laughing our asses off in their upcoming film, which will be released May 12.

“Paris Can Wait” 

This romantic comedy premiered at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival and on May 12 it will premiere in movie theaters. The film follows Anne, played by Diane Lane, a woman that has lost her taste for life and consequently takes a road trip with her driven but inattentive husband from Cannes to Paris. The drive entails unforeseen twists and turns featuring exquisite scenes and elements of humor and wisdom while reminding Anne of what she has and what life can be.

“Baywatch” 

This film is based on the 1990s television show of the same name, which originally starred David Hasselhoff of “Knight Rider” fame. Dwayne Johnson stars as the ardent lifeguard Mitch Buchanan and Zac Efron as manqué athlete Matt Brody. The two are hilariously mismatched lifeguards that must overlook their differences and come together as a team in order to discontinue the work of a criminal mastermind intent on running a drug-trafficking operation on their beach. On May 25, “Baywatch” begins.

“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”

Jack Sparrow, played by Johnny Depp, is back, stirring up trouble and creating chaos and mayhem in his wake, as per usual, come May 26. In the fifth installment of the series, Jack is pursued by an old nemesis with plans to kill every pirate at sea. In order to defeat him, Jack needs to find and utilize the Trident of Poseidon.

The film also marks the return of Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley reprising their roles as Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann, respectively, following their noticeable absence from the fourth Pirates’ film, “On Stranger Tides.” Pirates’ fans, you don’t want to miss Jack’s newest adventure featuring his antics, a compass that doesn’t point north, and of course, that tendency of his to land himself in sticky situations. 

via GIPHY

In any case, May features noteworthy cinematic sequels and exciting newcomers in its lineup. “King Arthur: Legend of the Sword,” “Lowriders,” “The Wall,” “Alien: Covenant” and “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul” are among other titles that will be released in the upcoming month. Relax and de-stress from finals in the movie theater and let yourself get lost in the world of movies instead of your own.

Follow Kacie Lillejord on Twitter.