Local seniors get a prom of their own

Willa Kleymann, 82, left, dances with business management sophomore Skylar Hauswirth yesterday during a Senior Prom at the Council House apartments yesterday. The event, organized by Kappa Sigma fraternity and Pi Beta Phi sorority, crowned a prom king and queen.
    Willa Kleymann, 82, left, dances with business management sophomore Skylar Hauswirth yesterday during a ‘Senior Prom’ at the Council House apartments yesterday. The event, organized by Kappa Sigma fraternity and Pi Beta Phi sorority, crowned a prom king and queen.

The Charleston and the Jitterbug made a comeback yesterday as UA students celebrated “”Senior Prom”” at a local retirement community.

Members of Kappa Sigma fraternity and Pi Beta Phi sorority organized the event and were glad to give back to residents of Council House Apartments, owned by the Jewish Federation of Southern Arizona.

“”When we’re older, I hope kids do the same and visit us,”” said Andrew Rozen, philanthropy chair for Kappa Sigma and an animal sciences sophomore.

“”It brings a smile to our faces to see our community smile,”” Rozen said.

Residents even voted for prom king and queen. Gordon Rose, 88, and Willa Kleymann, 82, were crowned the winners.

“”Oh honey, I’ve been a queen all my life,”” Kleymann said.

Kleymann and Rose have known each other for 18 years and used to be part of a group called Variety Entertainers who performed downtown at Armory Park. Rose played drums and Kleymann was a dancer.

“”I think it’s appropriate we both won, having known each other so long,”” Kleymann said.

Eugenia Taylor, 64, was so excited she wore out an outfit she made by hand.

“”I sewed it on the machine years ago, and got it out for today,”” Taylor said.

Aside from monthly movie nights, where the manager makes fresh popcorn, Taylor said events like the prom are rare at the complex.

“”It’s the first time I’ve been to something like this in a long time,”” Taylor said. “”I’m very happy they decided to come here.””

Caroline Sibley, president of Residents at Council House, said residents were glad to have the prom and it helps get them out of their apartments.

Residents especially enjoyed dancing, even from the sidelines.

“”I like watching everyone dance and have a good time,”” said Laura Lester, 70, a resident at Council House.

“”I’m getting a kick out of the young girls dancing,”” Lester said. “”If they had someone teach them the right dance moves, they’d be great.””

Lester said she was grateful for the event because it brings happiness to the elderly people there.

Angie Stizza, philanthropy chair for Pi Beta Phi and a communication freshman, said it was the first time her sorority had teamed up with Kappa Sigma for a service event and each holds a signature service event in March.

“”We’re already going to set a date for prom next semester,”” Stizza said. “”I can’t wait to do it again.””