“Top 5 Tucson thrift, vintage stores”

College is full of many life lessons: how to pull an all-nighter, how to date a complete hottie and, eventually, as is the fate of starving students everywhere, how to live on the cheap.

Thrift stores are a great way to not only save cash but also to get unique finds that fit any student’s budget, or lack thereof. Here is a list of Tucson’s best in delivering great finds at even better prices:

5. Guys, if you are ever looking for something special to give to your girl, think Preen. One of Tucson’s most revered vintage spots, its high quality and often locally designed items are fit for Hollywood stars like Kristen Stewart or Emma Watson. Choose between one-of-a-kind pieces of antique jewelry, local CDs and records, and or a custom tailored dress for a gift that will leave any fashionista in your life smitten. 272 E. Congress St. (520) 628-2991. Monday – Saturday, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Closed Sundays.

4. Downtown gem St. Vincent de Paul has antique finds as old and special as the buildings in the surrounding area. Find books, art, clothes and furniture of boutique quality without the boutique cost. Even if St. Vincent’s is a little on the expensive side when it comes to thrift stores, the selection is worth it. Not only is it possible to peruse through mid-century linens and dishes, every so often a serious treasure will show up like a mint condition road bike or an old lobster trap. 829 S. 6th Ave. (520) 622-2822. Monday – Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Closed Sundays.

3. When it comes to clothing, The Miracle Center is one of Tucson’s best-kept thrift store secrets. What makes it so heavenly? It’s a store operated by sweet church-lady volunteers and donors who are happy to offer their retired Sunday’s best for $1 per clothing item. Their generosity means sweet closet filling deals for girls on a budget: think $3 vintage ankle boots and 50 cent silver earrings mixed with a great $1 ’90s floral dress, all in a style that inspires the designers of Urban Outfitters. 5527 E. Pima St. (520) 296-3337. Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Sunday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

2. The mall meets the thrift store at the ever-popular Buffalo Exchange, a now national retail chain that originated in Tucson decades ago. Buy, sell and trade clothing to always be on the cutting edge in fashion for prices more than your typical thrift store but less than department store prices. 2001 E. Speedway Blvd. (520) 795-0508. Monday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. Sunday 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.

1. Have you ever wanted to go into a store with $20 and leave with an analog organ, a velvet chair, a wireless router, and some clothes? Welcome to Value Village, a Tucson thrift staple that for years has been synonymous with amazing deals. Both Tucson locals and university students frequent and donate here, making Value Village one of Tucson’s favorite places to shop. 300 N. 4th Ave. (520) 624-3414. Open 10 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. every day.