The Spectrum

Fantastic Planet is a 70s animated science fiction film about humans called Oms that are kept as pets by an alien race called Draags. The movie is playing at The Loft Cinema for $5.
    ‘Fantastic Planet’ is a ’70s animated science fiction film about humans called Oms that are kept as pets by an alien race called Draags. The movie is playing at The Loft Cinema for $5.

St. Vincent

This musician is most notable for playing guitar in the Polyphonic Spree and, get this, somehow breaking away without getting murdered or permanently maimed. The leader of the cult must have practiced a lot of tolerance in letting her go, especially because she must have so looked great onstage in her communal robe. Anyway, St. Vincent also played with Sufjan Stevens, which is also miraculous because any normal person would be so distracted by his package that they wouldn’t be able to move, let alone strum a guitar. St. Vincent’s solo music is fairly similar to that of her former bandmates but is ultimately a lot cooler because it doesn’t feature as many happy people clapping their hands all the damn time. Wednesday. 9 p.m. $8. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. (21+)

“”Greater Tuna””

This play sounded funny, just because of the concept that one tuna could be, in fact, better than another. Does anyone really notice the difference? Just add a bunch of mayo and they all taste the same. But apparently in this play, Tuna is not fish in a jar but a town in Texas. This is the first of three comedies in a series featuring a bunch of eccentric characters, all played by only two men. It screams of Eddie Murphy or Mike Myers to me, but some people like that crap. Oh well, it’ll be interesting because it makes fun of small-town America, so the character possibilities are practically endless. Let’s just hope it’s similar to “”Gummo.”” Oh boy, that was a screamer! Opens Friday. 7:30 p.m. $12, discounts available. Top Hat Theatre Club, 3110 E. Fort Lowell Road.

“”Fantastic Planet””

My God, the trailer for this movie looks amazing. I can say that in all seriousness, because it features all of the best elements in cinema: cartoon titties, aliens and people speaking French. But the best part of it all is that this ’70s sci-fi cartoon isn’t even on video, so the Loft’s new 35-millimeter print is the only way to see the movie. (Unless you want to rent the bootleg from Casa Video, which, might I add, was horrible for reading the subtitles.) If you like highly stylized animation and foreign cult films featuring monsters, phallic shapes and intestinal plants, you’ll love it. Friday. Times vary. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Kill Rock Stars Showcase

It’s too bad they aren’t featuring any of this record label’s major stars for this show, because then you’d get to see Deerhoof, Bikini Kill or Xiu Xiu. Seriously, who can’t take another three hours of the words “”Bang Bang”” over and over again coupled with screeches and guitar slashes. Seems like the artists on this showcase are a little mellower though, because a quick MySpace hunt reveals they all play folksy alt-rock. Guess this label is for high school scene kids now, but whatever. If you like Jeff Hansen (who has a voice like a woman), Thao Nguyen, Krist Krueger or pictures of octopuses, you’ll want to go to the show. Saturday. 7:30 p.m. $5. Club Congress.