Pac-10 breakdown

1. UCLA Bruins

Record: 26-4, 15-3 Pac-10

Key Player: Guard Arron Afflalo (17.5 points per game, 2.57 3-pointers made, 2nd in Pac-10, Pac-10 Player of the Year)

NCAA Tournament Status: Lock for a No. 1 seed, could be No. 1 overall

You Should Know: The Bruins have won 25 straight games played in Southern California, including last year’s Pac-10 Tournament.

Head coach says: “”I think it’s a lock that six Pac-10 teams are in, it’s done, regardless of what happens in the Pac-10 Tournament. Now everybody’s playing for improving their seeding in the NCAA Tournament.”” – Ben Howland

2. Washington State Cougars

Record: 24-6, 13-5 Pac-10

Key Player: Guard Kyle Weaver (11.4 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 4.79 assists per game, 3rd, 2.11 steals per game 2nd, 1.25 blocks per game, 6th)

NCAA Tournament Status: Likely No. 3 or No. 4 seed

You Should Know: The Cougars have not won 24 games in a season since Arizona and ASU joined the Pac-10 in 1978-79.

Head coach says: “”We did finish the regular season in second place, and hopefully that carries some weight, but there’s so much parity in college basketball that seedings, if you’re a 3 or 4 or whatever, I’m not sure how significant that is.”” – Tony Bennett

3. USC Trojans

Record: 21-10, 11-7 Pac-10

Key Player: Forward Nick Young (17.2 ppg, 3rd, 4.7 rpg, 53.1 FG %, 5th, 45.2 3-pt %, 2nd)

NCAA Tournament Status: Likely Nos.7-9 seed, but could move to No. 6 with Pac-10 tournament championship

You Should Know: USC’s likely NCAA Tournament berth will be its first since 2001-02.

Head Coach says: “”I think any game that we play in this tournament will resemble an NCAA Tournament game as far as the level of the opponent that we’re going to play. I think that’s what this league presents.”” – Tim Floyd

4. Oregon Ducks

Record: 23-7, 11-7 Pac-10

Key Player: Guard Aaron Brooks (18.0 ppg, 1st, 4.5 apg, 4th, 1.44 spg)

NCAA Tournament Status: Likely Nos. 6-8, but could move to No. 5 with tournament title.

You Should Know: The Ducks have advanced to the tournament semifinals in every tournament they’ve played in since it was brought back in 2002, although they missed it altogether in 2005 when only eight teams went.

Head coach says: “”I think their energy is really good, and we’ve really kind of gotten our second wind here coming down the stretch.”” – Ernie Kent

5. Arizona Wildcats

Record: 20-9, 11-7 Pac-10

Key Player: Forward Marcus Williams (16.8 ppg, 4th, 7.1 rpg, 8th, 51.2 FG %, 9th)

NCAA Tournament Status: Likely Nos. 6-8, but could move to No. 5 with championship win

You Should Know: Arizona’s four conference tournament championships and 16 tournament wins are league bests, although the last title came in 2002.

Head coach says: “”I’m sure it will have an effect … but I think at this point the formula that’s been given does not really include the (Pac-10) Tournament”” – Lute Olson

6. Stanford Cardinal

Record: 18-11, 10-8 Pac-10

Key Player: Forward Lawrence Hill (16.1 ppg, 6th, 6.0 rpg, 11th, 52.3 FG %, 6th)

NCAA Tournament Status: Probably in anyways at No. 9 or 10 but a win will guarantee it

You Should Know: Guard Anthony Goods, the squad’s second-leading scorer at 13.0 ppg, practiced Monday and is expected to play after missing the past six games with a high ankle sprain.

Head coach says: “” I feel we should be in the tournament regardless if we win or lose”” – Trent Johnson

7. Washington Huskies

Record: 18-12, 8-10 Pac-10

Key Player: Center Spencer Hawes (15.4 ppg, 8th, 6.0 rpg, 12th, 54.3 FG %, 3rd, 1.74 bpg, 4th)

NCAA Tournament Status: Likely need to win tournament, but getting to championship game could put them on the bubble

You Should Know: The Huskies would reach a school-record fourth consecutive NCAA Tournament if they earn a spot this season.

Head Coach says: “”Who knows what the committee will do, but at this point we can’t count on anyone else or rely on anyone else. We feel we’ve got to go out and win four, and that’s how we’re approaching it. We can’t look at it any other way at this point”” – Lorenzo Romar

8. California Golden Bears

Record: 14-16, 6-12 Pac-10

Key Player: Forward Ryan Anderson (16.5 ppg 5th, 8.0 rpg 5th, 1.79 3-ptrs, 10th)

NCAA Tournament Status: Need to win tournament

You Should Know: The Bears have beaten the Beavers 17 times in their last 19 meetings, including twice this season.

Head Coach says: “”We were disappointed (to lose to ASU), but we need to come back to do what we have been doing all year long, and that is to fight. I think the guys know we are going to have an opportunity”” – Ben Braun at his local press conference

9. Oregon State Beavers

Record: 11-20, 3-15 Pac-10

Key Player: Forward Marcel Jones (15.2 ppg, 9th, 5.5 rpg, 16th, 1.57 spg, 4th)

You Should Know: The Beavers won their first game in the past two conference tournaments, last year beating ASU in the No. 8/No. 9 game after losing to them twice in the regular season.

Head Coach says: “”If they can go to a neutral site and beat a team that beat them twice, that’s something tangible in closing the season”” – Jay John to the Corvallis Gazette-Times

10. Arizona State Sun Devils

Record: 8-21, 2-16 Pac-10

Key Player: Forward Jeff Pendergraph (12.5 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2nd, 56.5 FG %, 2nd)

You Should Know: ASU won its first road game of the season Saturday at California in its 15th game decided by five points or less (ASU’s 3-11 in those games).

Head Coach says: “”I don’t think it (the win) really changes things. I think we would approach our next game exactly the same way. We’ve done that consistently”” – Herb Sendek