Cason: Bowl not impossible

Washington quarterback Isaiah Stanback, left, stiff-arms UA junior cornerback Antoine Cason as he tries to make a tackle in Arizonas 21-10 loss to the Huskies Sept. 30. Cason, whos fourth on the team in tackles, will also use his hands to hold kicks. Cason practiced holding this week and will be the teams back-up holder Saturday at Stanford.
    Washington quarterback Isaiah Stanback, left, stiff-arms UA junior cornerback Antoine Cason as he tries to make a tackle in Arizona’s 21-10 loss to the Huskies Sept. 30. Cason, who’s fourth on the team in tackles, will also use his hands to hold kicks. Cason practiced holding this week and will be the team’s back-up holder Saturday at Stanford.

Sitting at 0-3 in conference play and 2-4 overall, it’d be easy for the Arizona football team to think about turning the calendar.

But with a 0-6 opponent in Stanford gracing the schedule this weekend, cornerback Antoine Cason has different plans.

“”We haven’t won a league game yet, and this is the week we have to win,”” he said. “”To come out (of conference play) 6-3, we have to win out. So we have to start somewhere. And this week – we need to start here.””

Those bowl aspirations so highly touted at the beginning of the season? They’re still there.

“”Of course, we want to get there still,”” Cason said. “”It’s not impossible to do, but we just have to work hard to get there.

“”We’ve minimized our chances to get there,”” he added, “”but it’s still a great chance for us to get to a bowl game.””

Wood recovering

After being slowed by offseason knee surgery early this season, Brad Wood had a new foe this week in practice: The tight end’s been sick.

“”I don’t know if he is going to be available or not (Saturday),”” Stoops said of Wood, who hasn’t practiced since Monday.

Other than Wood, quarterback Willie Tuitama (concussion) is expected to be the only Wildcat not available to play this weekend in Palo Alto, Calif.

Austin learning

After spending four years on the sidelines, Tuitama’s replacement this weekend, redshirt senior Adam Austin, is finally getting his chance.

And Austin, who’s seen action in four games this season, including a start Sept. 16 against Stephen F. Austin, said the experience he’s gained on the field this season trumps any he’s had on the practice field over his career at Arizona.

“”What’s making me sharper is the game experience that I’ve had, by far,”” he said. “”I’ve had enough practice in the four or five years that I’ve been here, but now it’s like seeing a difference in the game speed.””

A new role for Cason

Add “”backup holder”” to Cason’s job description.

The preseason All-American at cornerback recently picked up the duty at practice yesterday, staying afterward to work on his newfound skill.

“”I’ve been coming out to practice a little early, and I was like, ‘Nick, let me hold,’ and he was like, ‘Hey, you want to hold?'”” Cason said of a conversation with kicker Nick Folk. “”So it kind of came about like that, and so he kicked a couple with me holding it, but I have to keep working on it.””

So will the junior be holding come Saturday, in place of current holder Kyle McQuown?

“”No, not that soon,”” he said with a smile. “”I have to get everything down, mechanics and all that.””

Cats get first look at revamped Stanford Stadium

Arizona’s trip to the Bay Area this weekend marks its first trip there since 2002’s 16-6 loss, meaning the team will get its first look at the Cardinal’s refurbished Stanford Stadium – on Homecoming weekend no less.

“”The stadium is a great venue; it’s a beautiful place,”” Stanford head coach Walt Harris said of his team’s new digs, which underwent renovation this past summer. “”It’s a great place to be, and this week is Homecoming, so there will be a few more people coming by to check (it) out.””