Police Beat: Dec. 8

Babe’s bong seen by boys in blue

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol in the parking lot North of Parker House on Nov. 29 at 2:30 p.m. when they observed an unoccupied Ford Explorer with its lights on.

Officers approached the vehicle and looked inside to make sure the vehicle had not been tampered with or vandalized. Officers saw a glass bong that was left in plain sight on the passenger seat.

Officers left the area and drove around the block to try to locate the vehicle’s owner.

When officers returned, they saw that two women were inside of the vehicle. As the driver was attempting to back out of her parking space, officers activated their emergency lights and sirens. Officers approached the vehicle and made contact with the driver and observed that the glass bong had been moved to a pink computer bag that was sitting in between the passenger’s legs.

Officers told the women that they had seen a bong in plain view and the driver stated that it belonged to a friend. Officers smelled the strong odor of burnt marijuana during questioning and asked the driver if she would consent to a search of the vehicle. A search revealed a bag of marijuana, a small amount of loose marijuana, two glass pipes, a pink glass bong, and a tin containing loose marijuana and burnt marijuana residue.

The driver told police that some of the loose marijuana could have possibly belonged to other passengers that had previously been in the vehicle. She further claimed that all the other paraphernalia and marijuana belonged to her friends who she declined to identify. She stated that she allowed her friends to store their marijuana and paraphernalia in her car because they had no other place to keep it. The passenger denied that any of the marijuana or paraphernalia belonged to her either. Neither woman showed any signs of impairment. The passenger was cited on charges of possession of narcotics paraphernalia. The driver was cited on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of narcotics paraphernalia. Both women were released on scene and the incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Pen pilferer plows down bookstore employees

UAPD officers arrested a UA student for shoplifting at the UofA Bookstore on Nov. 30 at 1:19 p.m.

Upon arrival, officers observed three bookstore employees surrounding the shoplifting suspect. Officers led the suspect to a first-floor conference room and he identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license.

He told police that he had entered the bookstore in order to buy a birthday card for his sister. While in the store, he remembered that he needed a pen, so he took a package of pens from the shelf and slipped them inside his left sleeve. He then walked out of the front door.

Bookstore employees told police that upon exiting the store, they confronted the man and told him that they needed to speak with him. As they were escorting him back towards the store, he attempted to throw the pens into a trashcan with the coffee he had been drinking. The employees saw this and told him “”Nice try,”” and retrieved the pens from the trashcan, after which the man attempted to run. The employees got in front of the man and he ran into them, all three were knocked down in the process. He then got up and attempted to run again but an employee managed to grab his shirt and restrain him until police arrived.

He told officers, “”I didn’t really have any reason to take it, but I did. I even have money for it.””

The man was cited on charges of shoplifting and he was released on scene. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

DPS officer reports speed gun stolen from cruiser

UAPD officers responded to the lobby of the UAPD station on Nov. 30 at 6:52 p.m. in reference to a report of a larceny from a vehicle. Officers made contact with an Arizona Department of Public Safety Highway Patrol officer who reported that a LIDAR speed gun was stolen from his fully marked patrol vehicle.

The DPS officer told police that he had been assigned to work the Arizona-Oregon football game on Nov. 21. He arrived at the Sixth Street Garage at 3:20 p.m. and parked his vehicle on the third level. He secured the LIDAR unit in his trunk, locked his vehicle, and left the area. He returned at 11:33 p.m. and did not observe any signs of forced entry into the vehicle.

The following day, he went to retrieve the LIDAR unit from his trunk and discovered it was missing. He immediately returned to Sixth Street Parking Garage and searched the area where he had parked his patrol vehicle, but was unable to locate the unit. He returned again at 8:30 a.m. and conducted a more thorough search of the area but again was unable to locate the unit. A search of the trash bins in the garage also proved fruitless. The DPS officer reported no damage to his vehicle and no other items missing.

UAPD officers have no suspects or witnesses at this time.