Album Review: Dillon Francis electrifies with Wut Wut

Courtesy of DUSK

The realm of EDM has been opening international bridges for unprecedented talent and works of eccentric art. 

The multitalented artist Dillon Francis released his latest full album Wut Wut close to a month ago, with a head-banging collection of 11 different songs that introduce Francis’ fanbase to the Latin-pop music scene. 

Released with his own IDGAFOS label, Wut Wut represents an innovative and edgy style of music for what Francis affirms should be to have a good time and enjoy life. The latest LP follows Francis’ Money Sucks, Friends Rule 12-song album released in 2014 with Columbia Records. 

RELATED: Album Review: Phantogram’s latest is masterful

Listeners familiar to international talent like Ozuna, Gente De Zona or Natti Natasha may feel in touch with Wut Wut’s content. The LP is packed with a diverse production group like executive producer Toy Selectah and much talent from Miami, New York, the Dominican Republic and Mexico City.

The album’s intro, “White Boi”, combines the essence of falling in love with exotic body language and catchy Spanglish. Pop-star Lao Ra combines soft Spanish and English lyrics, “No entiende mi Spanglish, but you can read my body language.” 

The beats per minute increases and so does the excitement with songs like “No Pare”, with fun, mixing and enamoring lyrics. Yashua’s vocal style, derived from a deep admiration of Chris Brown and Michael Jackson, favors the song’s adventurous and spontaneous feel. 

If The Weeknd were to sing in Spanish, De La Ghetto’s voice in “Never Let Go” is a worthy attempt to compare the two. The bass and keyboard used in the song provide the listener with encouragement to look up the lyrics and sing along to “Me gusta cuando tu me besas asi.” 

Francis’ jump into the Latin American market has earned him a spot of nomination at the Latin Grammys and Latin American Music Awards, with Residente and iLe’s title “Sexo”, nominated for Best Short Form Music Video and Favorite Video, serving as his ticket in. 

For fans of music that can be fitting in a club scene, at a music festival or at full volume in a personal vehicle, Francis’ newest album is what’s necessary in a community like Tucson’s. The University of Arizona stands in a culturally-mixed region of the state, where a blend of EDM and Latin Music can become a smashing success. 

RELATED: GET TO KNOW THE 2018 LINEUP

The album bows out with “Get It Get It”, featuring a sharp brass intro at a consistent 162 BPM. Midway through the song, the song sticks to a festive pattern with drops that keep the listener grooving. 

Francis let his audience get a preview of the album with singles like “Ven” and “Look At That Butt” in middle of summer 2018. Now with a full album released, fans at the UA can enjoy the new tracks at DUSK. With Dillon Francis as the headline performer on Saturday’s lineup Nov. 10, fans can expect an electrifying show.  

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter