Channel the 1950s as weather transitions from winter to spring

With springtime weather almost here, clothing lines are beginning to come out with styles for warmer weather. In the blistering heat of Arizona’s summers, it is easy to go with the old tank top, daisy duke shorts and a pair of $5 flip-flops. This, however, is far from fashion forward. Grab a copy of “Dirty Dancing” (set in the early 1960s but still inspiring), or Elvis Presley’s “Greatest Hits” and get inspired. Make note of the classy ensembles, perfectly primped hair and natural makeup. All of these things that make the 1950s loveable can help add chic elegance to modern looks. Here are some ‘50s inspired looks that will keep you looking classy, even in the summer months.

High-waisted shorts

High-waisted shorts, skirts and pants are making a comeback. Combined with a tucked-in chiffon top and a pair of simple black flats, high-waisted shorts make the perfect summer ensemble. High-waisted swimsuits are also making a comeback. They suck you in while also providing a classic, vintage feel to a day at the beach.

Full, knee-length dresses and skirts

During the ‘50s, the classic hourglass shape was very popular. In order to show off this womanly silhouette, small shoulder, small waistline and fuller skirts became popular. These flowy, full skirts seem like they would be hot during the summer, but when made out of a lighter material, they are actually very cool. They add a touch of class and professionalism to an everyday summer look.

Polka dots

A simple polka dotted skirt paired with a fitted white blouse is the ultimate 1950s look. Navy or red with white polka dots were probably the most popular colors. Of course, colors can be changed up for modernity, but the simple polka dot will never die.

Tight pants

Take a lesson from a classic 1950s-inspired movie, “Grease.” Tight, high-waisted pants are sexy. Colored skinny jeans are definitely in. Choose a pair in a pastel color with a fitted top and colored accessories and you have yourself a look that spices up the summertime blues.