Need plans for break? Here are a few tips

From+2016%26nbsp%3B
Courtesy of Holiday Nights

From 2016 

The UA and its students are set to go on winter break starting Dec. 14. While some may be traveling back to their homes across the nation, the 50-degree Tucson weather is here to stay. Whether this is your first winter in Tucson or you are a Tucson winter veteran, the Daily Wildcat is here to outline some things to do over the holiday break. 

Take a hike to the Cookie Cabin on Mount Lemmon

The Cookie Cabin is a little house located on Mount Lemmon which offers cookies, pizza and ice cream to its patrons. The Cookie Cabin is a family-owned business that is well known for their “world-famous colossal cookies,” according to its website. If you have an afternoon free and you are looking for a new adventure, try the Cookie Cabin and enjoy a hike while you are there. 

See a movie at the Loft Cinema

This local nonprofit art house theater, located at 3233 E. Speedway Blvd., screens first-run independent films, documentaries and classic movies. The theater will have several new releases this winter and will host special events such as the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” on Dec. 15 at midnight. This is a Loft Cinema tradition for over 40 years, according to their website. Audience members are encouraged to dress up and interact with each other. A full schedule and pricing can be found online or at the box office. 

RELATED: Wildcats Anonymous strive to help college students achieve sobriety

See the sights at the Parade of Lights Festival

The 24th annual Parade of Lights will be held on Dec. 15. The event will feature floats, dancers, local mariachis and dogs that will be parading the streets of Tucson. The parade will also be marching past a winter festival in Jácome Plaza that will have live entertainment and food, according to the Downtown Tucson website.

Holiday Nights in the garden

From the weekends of Nov. 30 through Dec. 15, Tohono Chul will be hosting Holiday Nights, where guests can stroll through gardens while hearing live music and looking at “a million lights.” Holiday Nights will include entertainment and vendors for guests to enjoy, and each of the six nights features a different entertainer, according to its website. Admission is $12 for members, $16 for non-members and $3 for children 12 and under. 

From 2017
From 2017

Lights of the World

Nov. 8 through Jan. 2, Tucson will have its own Lights of the World, one of the largest light and lantern festivals in North America. Lights of the World will be at Kino Sports Complex and will feature acrobatic and sea lion shows, and includes a large display of lights that feature different cultures and countries from all over the world. Lights of the World also has over 15 carnival rides and games for added fun. Tickets start at $24.99 and every Tuesday active military and first responders get in free. 

Hike the Seven Falls 

For those looking for a free and active activity, Seven Falls is the perfect hike. Located in the Catalina Foothills and part of Sabino Canyon, Seven Falls offers water features and an 8.2-mile hike. “Besides being the number 1 rated trail in Tucson by All Trails, it boasts seven waterfalls, incredible views and a moderately easy hike,” said Arizona Hikers Guide on its website.

RELATED: Q&A: Scott Ordway shares his composition with the desert crowd

Hit the ice with a Tucson Roadrunners Game 

For those who enjoy sports, Tucson is home of the Roadrunners, the minor-league affiliate of the Arizona Coyotes. The hockey team has a variety of different games and offers interactive activities with the players and their mascot, Dusty the Roadrunner. Located at the Tucson Convention Center, tickets start at just $10 and with a variety of food and drink, a Roadrunners game is the perfect setting to kick back and watch some good old-fashioned hockey.

Rock-out at the Rialto Theater 

Throughout the year, the Rialto Theater, located at 318 E. Congress St., offers different shows and concerts from rap artists to dance shows. The theater offers general admission, and the month of December features acts such as The Smashing Pumpkins and Madame Ozzy & the Jack. Prices vary and the full concert calendar can be found online. Other venues include 191 Toole and the Fox Tucson Theatre. 

Hike your way through Picacho Peak

Another outdoor activity for those who enjoy the Tucson weather is the Picacho Peak hike. Located 40 minutes northwest of Tucson, Picacho Peak offers different trails and campsites for all enthusiasts. Being a state park, people at Picacho Peak can view the wildlife all around the hike.

Follow Taylor on Twitter