UApresents a ‘Wicked’ season

We all know that college is a great time to experience athletics at their finest, right? I mean, with programs like Zona Zoo, we as students get the opportunity to sit right in the stands and marvel as the quarterback sends the ball spiraling down the field, or watch as beads of sweat stream down the point guard’s face as he readies to shoot a free throw.

However, this is only a fraction of the live entertainment available for UA students to enjoy. This year, UApresents has really outdone itself, offering a spectacular season of shows and entertainment.

The season kicks off in September when the “”Mariachi Sol de México”” and “”Vikki Carr”” take the Centennial Hall stage, set to deliver an energetic performance in celebrating both the spirit of the band’s classic mariachi rhythms and Carr’s famed vocals.

In October, while preschoolers will be squealing as Playhouse Disney’s “”Choo-Choo Soul”” rolls into town, classical music lovers are sure to delight in the Venice Baroque Orchestra’s appearance at the end of the month. Hailed by critics as one of Europe’s finest classical ensembles, the night’s program will feature not only work by Vivaldi, but also a work by Philip Glass which was written to highlight the orchestra’s lead violinist Richard McDuffie.

November becomes a month of energetic dancing as the quick-footed tapper Savion Glover takes the stage. Glover, who is known for his hit Broadway show “”Bring in ‘da Noise, Bring in ‘da Funk,”” takes rhythmic acoustics to the floor — literally — in his new show “”SoLo in TiME.”” However, audiences will see a softer and more elegant take on the art form when the Paul Taylor Dance Company returns to Tucson to perform several of Taylor’s celebrated works.

And what’s in store for December? It’s all about the theatrics. With Tony, Grammy and Oscar-winner Liza Minnelli hitting the stage, as well as the extraordinary spectacle “”Cirque Dreams: Illumination,”” both your eyes and ears are sure to be in awe.

As spring moves in, Centennial Hall will be a non-stop venue for live music, dance and enjoyment. From January until May, UApresents roster includes jazz performances by such artists as Jimmy Cobb, T.S. Monk, Jazz at Lincoln Center with Wynton Marsalis and The Del McCoury Band with Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Visual entertainment is not in short supply either. Dancers from the university’s very own UA Dance Ensemble share the season’s program along with several other world-renowned artists, including Merce Cunningham Dance Company, Martha Graham Dance Company, Trey McIntyre Project and even the Blue Man Group. And let’s not forget about scheduled performances by violinist Joshua Bell, Kronos Quartet and Septeto Nacional de Cuba.

And last but not least, the highlight of the season: “”Wicked.”” Co-presented by Broadway in Tucson and UApresents, the Grammy and Tony award-winning Broadway hit is flying into Centennial Hall from Jan. 5-23, 2011. Never made it to New York? Now is your chance to see just what happened before Dorothy landed in Oz and hear the songs that made this show famous.

To put it simply, there is a show for everyone — every interest and every age. Plus more.

Hence, although watching a football player fly through the air to make an interception is certainly thrilling, try picturing someone hoisted into the air, on cue … while singing. That’s something you won’t find in any arena.  

For a full list of shows and more information about dates and tickets visit: uapresents.org.