Many ways for students to work on campus

No matter what your background, class standing or stringent schedule may be, chances are you’ll be able to find a job on campus that works for you.

The university offers a multitude of jobs on campus to both undergraduate and graduate students, employing upwards of 500 students each semester. While the range of work available varies greatly, the application process is simple and remains the same for everyone.

“”Anyone interested in working at the (Student) Union (Memorial Center) comes in to the information desk and fills out an application,”” said Adam Katz, a regional development senior and information desk employee. “”You write down information like your availability and class schedule and your desired location to work. Then managers will come through and look at the applications and call you back if there’s an opening.””

Locations of work vary greatly and include the food court, Fast Copy, Gallagher Theater, game rooms and the SUMC art galleries. Other students work in the administrative region of the student union.

“”About 10-15 percent of student employees work for administrative services,”” said Jessica Spoelting, a student coordinator who works for the UA.

In addition to the obvious benefits of convenience and the opportunity to work with other students, the perks of being a student employee include a 50 percent discount on meals at the union.

“”I’d say the flexible hours are by far the best benefit,”” Katz said. “”If you have a school schedule with a morning class, a two-hour break and then another class, something like that is no problem. They’ll work with you to schedule you around (your) school schedule.””

While it depends on the location of work, turnover in general tends to be low and students elect to keep their jobs through graduation, Katz said.

Another way to find work on campus is to enter into the Federal Work-Study Program. The program, classified as a form of financial aid, offers students to work in a job related to their field of study and make some money in the process.

John Namentz, director of student financial aid, said that benefits of work-study include being able to work flexible hours and getting good hands on training, which can translate into good resume material.

To apply for work-study, students must go through the initial financial aid application process, including filling out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Most students who qualify for financial aid also qualify for work-study. Namentz said typical jobs vary as much as regular on-campus jobs, and depend on the student’s field of study.

Perhaps more than anything else, the most useful resource for finding a job on campus is the Wildcat JobLink. The site allows employers both on and off campus to list jobs tailored specifically for students, as well as internships and interview opportunities. Postings are added daily, and the site can be found at career.arizona.edu.